Question Process of clean installation via Installation media

jackfloyd2005

Prominent
Sep 6, 2018
Hello. Recently I have found a bitcoin miner virus that disguises itself as the system files. Stuff like Issass.exe took up 8k kilobytes in details of task manager, plus it would crash my games as a result of overload. I want to reformat the C: drive and clean install Windows 10. So far, this is what i have for the process:

1. Boot into installation usb drive
  2. Get to advanced/custom installation
  3. Reformat each partition, then delete each partition
  4. Hit the “New” button to create a partition of the unallocated space
  5. Continue the installation for clean and healthy system files.
Am I doing anything or am I missing anything? Thank you for reading this and I hope you could help me. Oh, and I only have one drive.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Reactions: jackfloyd2005

USAFRet

Titan
Section II, Step 6 & 7 speak to deleting the existing partitions,a nd continuing with a clean slate.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Thank you for the help. I also wanted to know if I should change the boot settings?

what motherboard do you have? the answer depends on if the bios has a function similar to priority booting where it lets you set a drive as a 1 time boot and then uses the default ones on next one. If so, I would set USB as priority and normal hdd as 1st in line in boot order.

Colif

Win 11 Master
does windows still work?

If it does, try this
Put USB with win 10 on it into USB slot
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC into a blue menu
choose Use a device option
pick the USB from the list
PC will restart and boot from the USB

OItherwise, I am not sure what you mean by boot options?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Looking through the settings, I saw Fully Clean the Drive. It says it wipes all data and reinstalls Windows. Would that reinstall the system files?

The problem with a reset is if the virus infected the image files of windows 10, a reset using those files will only result in a pre infected system.

You might be able to fo it, it might work fine, but clean install is always safer idea after a virus.

jackfloyd2005

Prominent
Sep 6, 2018
Ok. It’s perfectly fine; if anything, I’m wasting your time. I’ll just turn off fast boot and secure boot and set the usb as the boot device. Will I have to go back into bios to switch the Disk Drive back or will it automatically if I remove the Usb?

jackfloyd2005

Prominent
Sep 6, 2018
Without network on? I’ve done like 5 full scans but I think the issue is the infected files are named as system files to stop the anti-virus from detecting it. I’ll do that before i clean install. Thanks.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Ok. It’s perfectly fine; if anything, I’m wasting your time. I’ll just turn off fast boot and secure boot and set the usb as the boot device. Will I have to go back into bios to switch the Disk Drive back or will it automatically if I remove the Usb?

you shouldn't need to go back into bios after its installed. Hopefully the PC will boot from hdd when it asks to restart during install process.

clean install should wipe all trace of virus off PC so shouldn't need scans but probably won't hurt.

jackfloyd2005

Prominent
Sep 6, 2018
Alright. I’ve started the format and reinstall, it’s currently installing. Thank you guys for the help, I just built this PC and i didn’t want it to die. I’ll report if there’s anymore errors.

jackfloyd2005

Prominent
Sep 6, 2018
Alright. I’ve started the format and reinstall, it’s currently installing. Thank you guys for the help, I just built this PC and i didn’t want it to die. I’ll report if there’s anymore errors.
Everything worked. I know for a fact that the virus is completely nuked, as i formatted and deleted the files. Thank you guys a lot.