[SOLVED] Process of upgrades

Seance

Reputable
Mar 6, 2017
Okay I've read similar threads but don't know enough about computers to make heads or tails out of the information. I built a budget pc in 2017 and I ran a bench mark test and the bench mark says my cpu and gpu are under performing. Can someone please tell me what I should upgrade first and what you recommend.

My specs are:
Cpu - i5-6500k
MSI H110 pro-vd plus
Zotac gtx 1050ti
Kingston 8g ram
Seagate 1tb harddrive
No ssd

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Solution
  1. Disregard 'userbenchmark'. It ALWAYS says something is "underperforming". Your system is being compared to others who have overclocked, stripped down, and otherwise optimized for that particular tool.
  2. Add an SSD.
  3. That is all (for now)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
lots more info needed here.

what benchmark? what part of the benchmark does it claim is under performing? does the pc do what you need/want it do right now? what made you bother to run the benchmark?

anything else you can tell us so that we can help figure out whether an upgrade is needed and what might be a good path to take.

lots more info needed here.

what benchmark? what part of the benchmark does it claim is under performing? does the pc do what you need/want it do right now? what made you bother to run the benchmark?

anything else you can tell us so that we can help figure out whether an upgrade is needed and what might be a good path to take.

Bet OP used userbenchmark :)

Anyways, yes indeed! in order to advice or give any hint about what to do (if anything needs to be done at all) we need more info.

Any problems (low performance, stutter, frame drops, etc) with Games?, Application takes too long to perform the task you need them to do?, etc.

Any recent hardware un software change in your system? Any new game update?

Is this system installation old? With time Windows may end up screwing your system performance.

Are those 8 GB of RAM = 2x4GB? or just 1 single stick of 8GB alone?

Usually either for gaming and working you want your system memoery to run in dual channel, having only 1 stick of RAM will hurt your performance, maybe not by much but it will.

Seance

Reputable
Mar 6, 2017
Any recent hardware un software change in your system? Any new game update?

Is this system installation old? With time Windows may end up screwing your system performance.

Are those 8 GB of RAM = 2x4GB? or just 1 single stick of 8GB alone?

Usually either for gaming and working you want your system memoery to run in dual channel, having only 1 stick of RAM will hurt your performance, maybe not by much but it will.

No software updates, no virus, or malware. Windows 10 and all drivers up to date.

x2 ram sticks so 4g each

USAFRet

Titan
  1. Disregard 'userbenchmark'. It ALWAYS says something is "underperforming". Your system is being compared to others who have overclocked, stripped down, and otherwise optimized for that particular tool.
  2. Add an SSD.
  3. That is all (for now)

Reactions: RodroX
Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
so these stutters, do they seem to be related to internet connection? or does it seem like other issues?

have you look at something like hwmonitor to see what the cpu and gpu are doing when the stutters occur? see if that can help shed some light. 8gb of ram is not that much anymore and its possible that's the issue. are the games you're playing expecting more than 8gb ram? is it maxed out when the game is running?

Reactions: RodroX

Seance

Reputable
Mar 6, 2017
  2. Add an SSD.
  3. That is all (for now)

Will do but what do you think is causing the drop in fps/stuttering?

Could be a lot of things.
OS install
Game install
The actual game engine (which you can't change)
Reading data off the old slow HDD
Not enough RAM

It could even be a mix of all those things USAFRet wrote. Even the internet contection Math Geek told you could be involved.

Pick a nice monitoring software (only 1, never run more than 1 monitoring software at the time) and try to narrow down what could be happening. For gaming related issues I love MSI Afterburner, the OSD display and the amount of values you can show is amazing. If you never used it there are tons of guides on youtube, some poor, some good, and some of them awesome.

Keep in mind game updates may also be realted, and if you don't update usually the game wont run anymore, so that could be another point of failure.

Seance

Reputable
Mar 6, 2017
It could even be a mix of all those things USAFRet wrote. Even the internet contection Math Geek told you could be involved.

Pick a nice monitoring software (only 1, never run more than 1 monitoring software at the time) and try to narrow down what could be happening. For gaming related issues I love MSI Afterburner, the OSD display and the amount of values you can show is amazing. If you never used it there are tons of guides on youtube, some poor, some good, and some of them awesome.

Keep in mind game updates may also be realted, and if you don't update usually the game wont run anymore, so that could be another point of failure.

I've downloaded afterburner last night just at work currently. Tha KS for a the hwll