[SOLVED] Processer Power Management

I have a 3600X with a wraith prism cooler.The problem Ive been having is the fan is continuously ramping up and is very loud,even when doing simple tasks and when idle.Ive tried adjusting the fan settings in the BIOS but to no avail. I found a video on youtube and if I go into the power and sleep settings on windows 10 and go to the processer power management, by turning down the maximum processer state from 100% to 99% it greatly reduces the fan ramping. Now, I do realise by doing this it stops the processer boost/turbo and locks the processer to its base speed which will reduce overall performance. Seeming as I mostly use my PC for watching movies/surfing the web etc, would it be ok to keep it at 99% and only return it to 100% while gaming and other high intensity tasks, would this have any other detrimental effect by using it this way?

Solution
It's highly unlikely anyone could tell the difference while gaming with PBO on or off. It's also unlikely anyone can tell the difference between a regular 3600 and the X model in games...but you can certainly tell the difference in heat generated using PBO.

Personally I wouldn't even consider using PBO on a stock cooler due to the extra heat. I don't even bother using it with the Noctua NH-D15 cooler because FPS was within the margin of error with or without PBO.
It's not all about feelings but also getting everything out of CPU you payed for. Depends also on games, if it uses 100% of CPU, 100-200MHz more can just get you "over the hump" or lower voltage and heat.
Did an experiment the other day. I set the frequency to 2GHz...
I have a 3600X with a wraith prism cooler.The problem Ive been having is the fan is continuously ramping up and is very loud,even when doing simple tasks and when idle.Ive tried adjusting the fan settings in the BIOS but to no avail. I found a video on youtube and if I go into the power and sleep settings on windows 10 and go to the processer power management, by turning down the maximum processer state from 100% to 99% it greatly reduces the fan ramping. Now, I do realise by doing this it stops the processer boost/turbo and locks the processer to its base speed which will reduce overall performance. Seeming as I mostly use my PC for watching movies/surfing the web etc, would it be ok to keep it at 99% and only return it to 100% while gaming and other high intensity tasks, would this have any other detrimental effect by using it this way?
For those tasks even 2-3GHz would be enough and you wouldn't see any difference , try 50% and see. Don't see how that could be detrimental.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Ive also noticed my idle temps and voltage has been greatly reduced and are way more stable,(obviously since it no longer boosts.) It just seems with the boost turned on, the temps in particular were very unstable, jumping continuously when idle from 30 Celsius to 60+ over and over again which would set the fan off to max,it was really annoying. But like i said, 80% of the time I just use my PC for browsing and i'll just enable the boost when gaming.

Do you have PBO disabled in the BIOS...if not I would recommend turning it off since all it does on 3000 series chips is add heat.

Another alternative to changing the Power Plan settings is to invest in a better cooler with much quieter fans like the Noctua NH D15-SE AM4...it's what I use (I was using a Prism too) and the fans cycling up and down is barely audible with the side panel on...not to mention the much better cooling.

I let curiosity get the better of me and decided to run a couple of tests. I ran Cinebench 20, firstly with the turbo/boost enabled,(think it's boost is 4.4ghz) and got a score of 3645 and a temperature of 76.8 C. I then, using the method i described above where the processer doesnt go above it's base clock speed of 3.8ghz got a score of 3351 and a temperature of 58 C. In terms of performance, is that a 'big' difference between the 2 results?

I let curiosity get the better of me and decided to run a couple of tests. I ran Cinebench 20, firstly with the turbo/boost enabled,(think it's boost is 4.4ghz) and got a score of 3645 and a temperature of 76.8 C. I then, using the method i described above where the processer doesnt go above it's base clock speed of 3.8ghz got a score of 3351 and a temperature of 58 C. In terms of performance, is that a 'big' difference between the 2 results?
That's a synthetic benchmark with all the cores at 100% for the duration, unlikely to happen during gaming.
Just today, I restricted my 3700x to 2GHz and was still able to play CoD WWII at full settings at 100+ FPS. despite CB r20 score of 2651 instead of usual 5000+.

Reactions: kurdtnz
PBO does more than just ad heat specially with X models, it ads 100-200+MHz to cores and hold them for longer. In other words lets processor work at it's best, even the name implies it. Problem arrases only if heat can't be controlled.

It's highly unlikely anyone could tell the difference while gaming with PBO on or off. It's also unlikely anyone can tell the difference between a regular 3600 and the X model in games...but you can certainly tell the difference in heat generated using PBO.

Personally I wouldn't even consider using PBO on a stock cooler due to the extra heat. I don't even bother using it with the Noctua NH-D15 cooler because FPS was within the margin of error with or without PBO.

It's not all about feelings but also getting everything out of CPU you payed for. Depends also on games, if it uses 100% of CPU, 100-200MHz more can just get you "over the hump" or lower voltage and heat.
Did an experiment the other day. I set the frequency to 2GHz and got same FPS in COD WWII as with PBO or 4.3GHz OC. Only change was in CPU usage, from about 20% to almost 80%.

Solution