Question Processes completely shut down when CPU is rendering

Dec 20, 2021
I own an i7-10700KF cooled by a H150I Elite Cappelix. It rarely goes under strain, I use it at its maximum when I need to render a scene that’s too heavy for my GPU (GTX 1060 6GB). When it happens, it goes from 30°C to 80°C after a minute of rendering. I think that’s kind of normal since it’s overclocked, but on the right instant it starts calculating stuff in pre-rendering phase (so when it increases to 20% or 30% of usage), it totally freezes all the background processes but the rendering. No audio, nothing can be recorded, monitoring programs don’t work either, and background processes even crash sometimes, as my fan leds turn off after some minutes of rendering with the CPU. It’s not a visualization problem since I can move the cursor, and the program (Blender) shows what’s going on in real time; the RAM is free and the whole machine doesn’t overheat if not the processor when it hits that temperature.
However, this started happening after an upgrade of the system, so I don’t know what could be the cause of this behavior; in the past months it reached these temperatures but never froze all the processes. I thought about undervolting it, but I’m not totally sure about it.

What do you say?

kanewolf

Titan
I own an i7-10700KF cooled by a H150I Elite Cappelix. It rarely goes under strain, I use it at its maximum when I need to render a scene that’s too heavy for my GPU (GTX 1060 6GB). When it happens, it goes from 30°C to 80°C after a minute of rendering. I think that’s kind of normal since it’s overclocked, but on the right instant it starts calculating stuff in pre-rendering phase (so when it increases to 20% or 30% of usage), it totally freezes all the background processes but the rendering. No audio, nothing can be recorded, monitoring programs don’t work either, and background processes even crash sometimes, as my fan leds turn off after some minutes of rendering with the CPU. It’s not a visualization problem since I can move the cursor, and the program (Blender) shows what’s going on in real time; the RAM is free and the whole machine doesn’t overheat if not the processor when it hits that temperature.
However, this started happening after an upgrade of the system, so I don’t know what could be the cause of this behavior; in the past months it reached these temperatures but never froze all the processes. I thought about undervolting it, but I’m not totally sure about it.

What do you say?
What do mean by "upgrade"?