Processor consantly running at 100%

OmnipotentPilot

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
I started my computer and discovered my processor is running at 100%, constantly. I don't have many processes running, and I first noticed the problem while using eclipse. I would type or click somewhere, and it would take several seconds for my changes to appear. This has happened once before, about three weeks ago, but it went away after a defrag. I don't have a very good laptop (I'm on a budget: my laptop runs with 3GB of ram and a 2.2 Ghz, single core processor) I'm earning money for a better computer, but it's tough on a high school salary with very low hours....

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm concerned this is damaging my processor.

Pictures:
iqrez.png

AjoLM.png

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Wont be damaging your cpu... would be heating up everything around it.. I would backup your data/serial numbers... nuke the hdd and complete a fresh install back on the hdd.. this will eliminate and Operating System faults you may be having.. Vista is very resource hungry. A brad spanka OS is the best way to maximise performance.

OmnipotentPilot

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011

A fresh install is definitely the best option, but I don't have the hardware to backup my data (pictures/videos, development stuff, code, etc.) I guess I could partition my drive and put all my stuff onto one partition, then wipe the partition with windows on it and reinstall through linux (I have a dual-boot setup), but that sounds risky.... And like a lot of work.... I think I'm gonna shut it down and let it cool for a while, see if that helps (i'm not very hopeful -.-)

why does everyone use windows? The only reason I keep it around is for gaming.

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Well..going about the partition way could bring the virus with it... I would get your hands on a mate's external or something and back it up, and then scan the drive properly to assure its safe, and then load your OS back on > Fresh Install.

Goodluck

OmnipotentPilot

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
I probably should have checked this first, but my current hard drive is low on space (it was only 160GB to begin with) So i'm gonna clear it up and see if that solves the problem temporarily.

As far as getting an external hard drive.... Well, what do you mean, "Scan the drive properly to assure it's safe"? You mean antivirus scan? Or something else I'm not aware of? If possible, I could just format it.... correct?

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Ohhk, so..

You can back your data up onto an external... good right...?

But the virus's/malware could be in that data that your backing up. So if you backup your data onto that external... make sure you scan it for virus's before you put it the data back on your new system.

Some virus's can transfer from system to system, and some cant.. depends on the virus, I' would want to be sure thats all.

OmnipotentPilot

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Alright, gotcha. I did a pre-boot scan last night, came up with nothing. I cleaned up my computer, defraged, did all the standard maintenance, and it seems to be working fine... I might reinstall the OS, but I've had this laptop for two and a half years with no problems.