johnnyx

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2002
Can some one explain something for me?
Well remember the older athlons and p3's than used a slot instead of a socket? Why did they stop making the cpu's this way? It seems like it would be Ideal for keeping them cool because there are 2 more sides and much more surface area. It seem like the cooling needs of some new cpu's (like when they get to 5GHz er something) would need more of it.

If an orange was driving a racecar would it peel out? www.jxfiles.com

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I think it boils down to a decrease in production costs. Less materials, less money.

I can't think of a good signature so I'll use this one.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I beleave slot had the cache around the cpu on the board. And socket had ondie cache. Where slot cache was like 1/3 2/3 the speed of the cpu and the cache on the socket was the same speed as the cpu. Which is why you dont see as much cache. Unless you start looking at the newer cpus.

TheMaverick

Distinguished
May 13, 2002
Yeah the on-die cache situation was why they changed when you could run the cache at twice the speed as a slot processor it was a bit of an advantage to bad you got about half the L2 cache

AMD XP 1900+
A7V-333
Geforce 3 TI 200
PC2100 512MB

johnnyx

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2002
Interesting.
Why does the cache have to be that way physically? Like how does that work?

If an orange was driving a racecar would it peel out? www.jxfiles.com

G

Yes, and doubling from 256K fullspeed to 512K fullspeed increases cost essentally.
I'm not familiar with cache prices since I don't work for Intel, AMD, or any other chip/memory producer, but logically it would make it more expensive.

AMD Athlon XP 1800+
A-bit AT7 MAX
256MB PC2700 DDR-SDRAM
Xoxide Midnight Wind

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It seems like it would be Ideal for keeping them cool because there are 2 more sides and much more surface area. It seem like the cooling needs of some new cpu's (like when they get to 5GHz er something) would need more of it.
You must not have seen a P4's heat sink. Try fitting even just one of those onto a slot-based processor and you'd be called nuts. To try and put one on front and one on back though would be just plain crazy.

No, the cooling needs of new CPUs is best handled by a huge freaking heat sink. Slot processors could never support something like that. Size and weight of a heat sink are very limited by slot processors.

Tech support said take a screen shot.
Putting it down with my .22 was the humane thing to do.