[SOLVED] Processor heatsink not aligned properly ?

Dec 9, 2021
Hi, everyone. I'm relatively new to this whole PC thing, so please kindly guide me on this.

So, I buy this pre-built PC in an online shop for a cheap price, after a year the PC suddenly won't turn on, and I'm suspecting either the PSU or the power cable for that, because the last time I turned it off I unplugged the power cable from the wall socket.
I contacted the online shop I bought this PC from to ask about this, but there are no respond from them.
Oh, and I was testing the PC out while taking the pictures, so you may see some cables are unplugged.

IMG 1 https://imgbox.com/fysHUH61
IMG 2 https://imgbox.com/nRTWCug4
IMG 3 https://imgbox.com/dmQZHIA2

Now, I opened up my PC to check everything out, and after removing the GPU, the slightly slanted and gaping CPU heatsink catch my attention.
Actually I don't know if the heatsink is already in the correct position or it need some readjusting, but it does looked off for me, then I tried to push the fan with heatsink down gently, but it was quite stiff like something holding it tight, I'm afraid if I'll damage it so I leave it be for now.

Please, if anyone have a suggestion on what to do and how to do it or should I just leave it be, it'll be meaningful to me.

PC Specs:
CPU Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.20GHz Ivy Bridge
GPU ATI Radeon RX 580 4GB GDDR5
RAM 8GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz
Motherboard BIOSTAR Group H61MGV
PSU Enlight 650w 80+
Case Armageddon Nimitz TR1100

– Thank you

Last edited:
Solution
Looks like a Docooler V4 but all I could find was this terribly photoshopped image:

Heatpiped heatsinks can often be bent slightly for clearance, and it looks like the installer bent it so they could easily install and remove RAM with it installed. I would not bend it back because the pipes are filled with sintered metal inside which unnecessary bending can crack, plus the way it is angled now actually helps gravity assist in returning the liquid droplets to the base whether the case is upright or flat on its side (looks like it would work much better for the latter), so...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Were the temperatures weird? If contact is made properly with the CPU, there can be a lot of warping otherwise and it still will mostly function. Looking at the fans, whoever assembled this computer was astoundingly incompetent.

Not surprising for the PSU to die. Hopefully, it didn't take out the GPU or the motherboard/CPU with it, which is a possibility given that it's absolutely junk that shouldn't have ever been used with an RX 580. If this shop assembled this PC and chose the PSU, you probably don't want to be in contact with them. In any case, it's doubtful they would do anything for you.

Dec 9, 2021
Were the temperatures weird? If contact is made properly with the CPU, there can be a lot of warping otherwise and it still will mostly function. Looking at the fans, whoever assembled this computer was astoundingly incompetent.

Not surprising for the PSU to die. Hopefully, it didn't take out the GPU or the motherboard/CPU with it, which is a possibility given that it's absolutely junk that shouldn't have ever been used with an RX 580. If this shop assembled this PC and chose the PSU, you probably don't want to be in contact with them. In any case, it's doubtful they would do anything for you.
No, the CPU temp is perfect on around 60° to 70°c while heavy gaming (game: Forza Horizon 5, it's too heavy for this PC tbh u) even here in Indonesia where the everyday temperatures is at 30°c on rainy season.
The GPU however is the one that's weird on the temps, most temps sensor software would show the temps on idle is around 40°c, but it'll crancks up immediately to 85°c after only 5 seconds opening a game.

So, do you think it is safe to push the heatsink down to align it with the processor? Also I found out that

I agree on how incompetent this guys are. I faced many small yet annoying problems whilst opening the PC just because of how they build this rig.

Looks like a Docooler V4 but all I could find was this terribly photoshopped image:

Heatpiped heatsinks can often be bent slightly for clearance, and it looks like the installer bent it so they could easily install and remove RAM with it installed. I would not bend it back because the pipes are filled with sintered metal inside which unnecessary bending can crack, plus the way it is angled now actually helps gravity assist in returning the liquid droplets to the base whether the case is upright or flat on its side (looks like it would work much better for the latter), so bending it to look neat may actually raise temperatures.

It's not a great cooler being designed for A64 and Pentium 4 but it sounds like it's been adequate for the job. Try leaving everything else as-is when you swap PSUs (only one change at a time) or you'll never know if it was the PSU or if you broke it trying to neaten up the heatsink.

Solution
PC suddenly won't turn on, and I'm suspecting either the PSU or the power cable for that, because the last time I turned it off I unplugged the power cable from the wall socket.

Please, if anyone have a suggestion on what to do and how to do it or should I just leave it be, it'll be meaningful to me.
It looks like power button cable has been disconnected.

syxJaOQl.jpg

Dec 9, 2021

Heatpiped heatsinks can often be bent slightly for clearance, and it looks like the installer bent it so they could easily install and remove RAM with it installed. I would not bend it back because the pipes are filled with sintered metal inside which unnecessary bending can crack, plus the way it is angled now actually helps gravity assist in returning the liquid droplets to the base whether the case is upright or flat on its side (looks like it would work much better for the latter), so bending it to look neat may actually raise temperatures.

It's not a great cooler being designed for A64 and Pentium 4 but it sounds like it's been adequate for the job. Try leaving everything else as-is when you swap PSUs (only one change at a time) or you'll never know if it was the PSU or if you broke it trying to neaten up the heatsink.
Everything are noted!
Thank you for your advices.

Dec 9, 2021
It looks like power button cable has been disconnected.

syxJaOQl.jpg
Oh yeah, about that, I take this photo while testing things out, and that time I unplugged the 'Power SW' cable to try turning the PC on with a screwdriver by 'touching' the metal part of the screwdriver to the middle of those power header pins.

Dec 9, 2021
I have a new question, folks.
I need to unplug some of the cables to remove the PSU, but the processor heatsink fan was in the way, the problem is I don't know how remove it, especially with this kind of fan.

If anyone know how to remove a CPU heatsink fan, please kindly guide me trough this. And If you need me to take some new pictures for it, just tell me right away.

– Thank you

The fan itself is only clipped on with those paperclip-wire looking things on the top. Pull the ends out of the holes in the fan frame and it should be self-explanatory.

If you have to remove the whole heatsink from the CPU, you just press down on that thumb handle part of the clip at the base and then sort of tilt that part away from the tab on that round plastic ring that it latches onto. If you do that then you'll have to be prepared to clean and repaste things

Dec 9, 2021
The fan itself is only clipped on with those paperclip-wire looking things on the top. Pull the ends out of the holes in the fan frame and it should be self-explanatory.

If you have to remove the whole heatsink from the CPU, you just press down on that thumb handle part of the clip at the base and then sort of tilt that part away from the tab on that round plastic ring that it latches onto. If you do that then you'll have to be prepared to clean and repaste things
Ok, everything are noted.
I guess I need to prepare everything needed first, then I'll try to remove it later.

Thank you again!