PROCESSOR HYPERHEATING.....

striker10001

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
hellow,and happy tamil new year for guys from tamil nadu.. ok comming to the point.. my headache and nervous breakdown are with my processor. its core 2 quad q8200. its really craping me the *** from last night .. when i was working with photoshop cs4.. the asus pc probe2 showing me sensor readings of cpu were normal 65-73 degree celsius [in my case] in xp.. and after 5 min i had a power fluctuation in my house so i shut it down and after everything get back to normal .i turned it on booted into vista for gamming, i started playing farcry2 for 5min and i had temp warning sensor reading showing temp exceding 75c so i quit the game and starring it, suddenly with some thing gone stupid the readings were 127 degree celsius.. and the pc quit itself.. and removed the cpu cooler for confirmation and examining the cpu really it was damn hot..the thermal paste were completely gone [just ash].. so what could be the problem guys ......seeking some one would assist me..thanx for reading a my stupid story.
just type what is ur all opnion i'll be keep on looking this topic

my specs....
m-board=>asus p5n-d 750i sli chipset
g-card =>XFX 9400gt
psu=>zebronics 700watts platinum series
ram=>kingston 2gb,transcend 2gb
hdd=500gb segate
chassi=>zebronics reaper[4 fan ]
cpu =>core 2 quad q8200[i havent overclocked] hate to make things even worser..
thanx in advance....

65-73c is too hot for a processor. That is not normal readings. I would say you have an improperly mounted heatsink.
You need to clean with alcohol, careful, very carefully, the top of your CPU, and bottom of your heatsink, reapply the thermal paste correctly, and the correct amount, and reset your heatsink and fan. Make sure the fan is working as well on the heatsink. Max temps at load should stay under 60c, 55C or less at full load after about 10 minutes is a good number. Make sure your case fans are working as well, check the fan on the PSU too.

rags_20

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
No, 75C is not too hot. I mean, the chip can survive. But always running it at 75C is not so good. 127C, come on. Your CPU is dead by now, even if it thermal throttled. Just RMA and get an aftermarket cooler.

jassao

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
If this heat just suddenly happened, then more likely the heatsink just moved from its place for some reason, I can't think any other possible explanation besides higher voltage to the cpu.... but temps at 127C show the heat is not being transfer at all.
Pray your cpu is still working if not I hope your RMA process in your country is not as painfull as in mine (central america).

Good Luck!

Axeon

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
@ jitpublisher, I agree clean off the remaining thermal compound and install a better one like Artic Silver or OCZ Freeze. I use OCZ Freeze and its pretty good. Make sure tho when you do install it, let the system heat up a bit before pulling off the HSF or it'll pull the chip with.
CORRECTION!
Sorry i didn't see that you have a C2Q so LGA775 right? It wont pull out because it have a cover around the CPU and the CPU is LGA.

rags_20

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Come on, even stock HSF with poor thermal compound application will not lead to 127C. I can think of such temps. only when there is no HSF installed.

striker10001

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
thanx for the reply mr.jitpublisher in my case 57-70c was ok the condition here its damn hot summer. chasis led displaying 36c as room temperature..am a under graduate student i live at hostel so i can't afford to keep air conditioner..so is it ok the hsf is intel one came along with the box.. :whistle:

Rain1406

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

if it's not propperly aligned it can.

However if it hit that temperature, (infact a hell of alot less) the PC should have shut itself down to prevent damage.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
I've never seen 127c.

But my old E2160 hit about 109c when installing my new AC Freezer 7 Pro, thanks to the "Awesome" 775 Clip system being so lovely, anyway I had Thermal Throttling off.
Fortunately I decided to check my temps in Bios before continuing to windows and shut it down when i saw 90c+ and rising. Thanks to the clip design, I thought it was attached but when I looked in my case is was dangling....

That 2160 is still running though. Maybe he'll get lucky too.
my Intel TIM also dried up on me prior to it hitting 100c+, I noticed it when i pulled the original HSF off.

I am just reminded my friend has the same processor(not my old one though, its in his dad's computer w/AS5) with the crap Intel HSF and TIM, I'm going to replace it with AS5 next time I go over.....just in case.

4745454b

Titan
127 can be seen, but its not real. I can see 127c temps with software monitoring programs, but they are simply errors in readings. (starting at 0, this is really 128, or 2^7) If the bios saw this number, it would shut it down.

I agree that its probably nothing more then a bad HSF install. Pull it off, clean it up, try again. Make sure that the heatsink is VERY secure, in ALL corners. Every push pin must be down. I suggest taking it out of the case to make sure.

striker10001

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
thanx for all suggestions guys, i just found what was the problem the the thing is my younger brother just messed up with the processor socket. and when examined
i saw a single pin at bottom left corner bent. so my question is, can it be repaired.its been only 2 weeks since i bought the whole system.but am no sure will asus claim it a structural damage so they can't make it..i accept its my fault. so am even ready to pay for making it alright.. but the m-board is still under warrenty for 3-years and so the cpu. so what is ur all suggestions guys.....

striker10001

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
i don't care if RMA is denied ..or not, for improper handling or anything... can it be fixed for money..by those asus affiliated service centre... if so how much would they charge me for fixing lga 775 stupid socket...... thanx for reply cliffro

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007

I don't know how much they would charge you, but it may be enough to make you want to just buy a new one. Ask them.

striker10001

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
okay guys that sick problem is fixed well,those guys at rashi peripheral were good to me they said that rma can't be claimed but we can fix it for u...and the socket is fixed for free.. but the second problem araised that is there was a problem wit the processor,,core2quad q8200 and RMA was claimed, the shop keeper said u'll get another piece in 1 week's time..now i totall accept with jitpublisher he was right.. 60-70 degree is not good,,they put the test processor the reaadings were only 40-43 degree celcius

striker10001

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009

thanx, they fixed for free cliffro