[SOLVED] Processor is loaded at 100% in the Cyberpunk 2077

Reniro

Prominent
Sep 18, 2020
Hello everyone, I starded playing Cyberpunk 2077 again and I noticed that at every graphic settings (low-high settings) I have suttering in the places where are a lot of npc, cars. The game is installed on the SSD I turned on Nvidia Overlay and noticed that the CPU is loaded on 96-100%, but GPU max on the 50%. Can someone help me with that?
My specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5 9600k 3.70 GHz
GPU: RTX 2060 Super 8 GB
RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2132 MHz

Solution
Simplified way a PC plays a game:
  1. CPU figures out what needs to be in a given frame (imagine a rough sketch) based on user and game world input. Issues draw call to GPU to tell it what to render.
  2. GPU receives draw call and makes a pretty picture. Sends to monitor when complete.
  3. The GPU can't do any work until the CPU tells it what to draw. Raising graphics settings and/or resolution increases the complexity of the GPU's job, making it take longer to render each frame. Lowering settings decreases the complexity of the GPUs job making it take less time to render each frame.
  4. If the GPU finishes rendering a frame before the CPU has finished figuring out what the next frame should contain, the GPU has to wait (<100% GPU...
Simplified way a PC plays a game:
  1. CPU figures out what needs to be in a given frame (imagine a rough sketch) based on user and game world input. Issues draw call to GPU to tell it what to render.
  2. GPU receives draw call and makes a pretty picture. Sends to monitor when complete.
  3. The GPU can't do any work until the CPU tells it what to draw. Raising graphics settings and/or resolution increases the complexity of the GPU's job, making it take longer to render each frame. Lowering settings decreases the complexity of the GPUs job making it take less time to render each frame.
  4. If the GPU finishes rendering a frame before the CPU has finished figuring out what the next frame should contain, the GPU has to wait (<100% GPU usage).
  5. Based on #3 & #4, you should be able to optimize for 90% or greater GPU usage (depending on a game's CPU stress and the CPU/GPU balance of a system)
  6. CPU usage is usually reported as active time across all available threads of a CPU. Most* games don't leverage more than....6-7 threads. Monitoring CPU usage can be misleading, especially in today's high core-count CPUs.

TL;DR - Increase your settings until the GPU load % is at/near 100%.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Cyberpunk is a very demanding game. I am making the assumption that you are playing it at 1080P.

With that said, would probably go check into your (Windows) background processes and see what you can eliminate. Once you load into the game turn things down like crowd (such that it doesn't render so many people) and perhaps set a realistic frame rate limit along with low-mid settings.

IDK the exacts of your RAM or the ability to OC (XMP) that on those sticks and motherboard choice, but if you can, would def. try to put a higher speed profile on that...24xx, 26xx, more?

Reactions: Phaaze88
Hello everyone, I starded playing Cyberpunk 2077 again and I noticed that at every graphic settings (low-high settings) I have suttering in the places where are a lot of npc, cars. .....
Do not play this game like it's an e-sports run-and-shoot 'twitch' game. It's a lush triple-A game that needs to be fully rendered to be fully appreciated. High FPS is not only not required but undesireable. Increase gaming resolution and settings to put more load on the GPU.

Aim for no better than 60, even as low as 40 FPS in game. In fact, if your GPU can easily handle very-high and ultra settings at your monitor's default resolution setting an FPS limit at 50 or so is smart. That way it doesn't get the system hot rendering unnecessary frames in light complexity scenes making it less likely to throttle back in high complexity scenes.

Last edited:
Reactions: KyaraM

KyaraM

Admirable
You could check your CPU and mainboard specs to see what RAM speeds are supported, thwn get RAM of that speed. Should help already.

Do not play this game like it's an e-sports run-and-shoot 'twitch' game. It's a lush triple-A game that needs to be fully rendered to be fully appreciated. High FPS is not only not required but undesireable. Increase gaming resolution and settings to put more load on the GPU.

Aim for no better than 60, even as low as 40 FPS in game. In fact, if your GPU can easily handle very-high and ultra settings at your monitor's default resolution setting an FPS limit at 50 or so is smart. That way it doesn't get the system hot rendering unnecessary frames in light complexity scenes making it less likely to throttle back in high complexity scenes.
And I already thought I'm the only one thinking like this...

This is also why I don't get the complaints about Elden Ring's 60FPS cap, btw. It simply doesn't matter and more FPS don't help you any. I usually also cap FPS myself. First, again, there is no real difference between 60 or 75 and 144 FPS in most games outside shooters, and second, it drastically decreases system load. FPS are also much more stable usually, which is frankly more important. Running more than 144 FPS then is extra useless for me since my monitor has 144 Hz refresh rate, so that'sthe final cap in Nvidia Control Panel from my side.