Processor keychain

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Im thinking of drilling a small hole in one of the corners of my old AMD processor, to make it into a keychain. Now my question is what is the best way of removing the pins below? Id like it as smooth as possible, it wouldnt be nice getting scratched, or my pockets ripped y'see :).

Should i individually clip each pin using a wire cutter? And im also afraid that if i drilled the corner, that the corner would suddenly break off, any advice with that?

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
First of all, an Athlon isn't exactly the strongest chip to make a keychain out of. My old 486DX is sturdy enough to be put in my pocket safetly though. Anyway, I don't find the pins a problem at all. They are so dense that it rarely becomes and issue. If you absolutely must remove it, some wirecutters and then sanding the edges would work well.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.

eden

Champion
He did not specify he had an Athlon. It could very well be a K6 with an IHS, all the more sturdy.

--
<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">The THGC Photo Album, send your pics and see others'!</A>

Holgate

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
Careful with this, AMD found out I was drilling holes in their processors and they sent the Egyptian Mice and that was terrible so I don't suggest you mess around.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ive used a dremel with cut off wheel and buffer, takes a few seconds. Just dont gouge into the chip and it will look good when done.

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.