Processor ok for VR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2018
Hello, I'm new here as a member but certainly not as a reader.

So I'm looking into buying an Oculus Rift, and am wondering if I'll also need to look into upgrading my PC. I'm aware that I have a processor bottleneck, but am not sure if it's significant enough to matter. I Frankensteined this PC from an old Alienware, hence the weird processor.

Essential specs:
CPU: i7 4785T (locked 2.2 ghz)
GPU: Gtx 1080FTW
RAM: 16G DDR3

Any idea if I'll be able to comfortably run the headset with basic vr titles (e.g. Keep talking and nobody explodes) until I can upgrade the PC to run more demanding games like Fallout 4? Or will I even need to upgrade? Fallout 4 currently runs 3440p ultra with a ton of graphics mods at 40fps. Witcher 3 unmodded 3440p at 40-60fps.

Should I upgrade first, then buy the headset, or viceversa?

Solution
Checking the benchmarks, your i7 is pretty close in performance to the i7 7700HQ, and it is just fine for VR. You might see some struggling in poorly threaded games with your lower clock speeds, but anything that works well with multiple cores will be fine.

Honestly, you'll have no problems with Fallout 4 VR as I don't have problems running it on my 7700HQ and an GTX 1060 6GB.

Chances are pretty darn good that you will be fine going ahead with getting the headset.
Checking the benchmarks, your i7 is pretty close in performance to the i7 7700HQ, and it is just fine for VR. You might see some struggling in poorly threaded games with your lower clock speeds, but anything that works well with multiple cores will be fine.

Honestly, you'll have no problems with Fallout 4 VR as I don't have problems running it on my 7700HQ and an GTX 1060 6GB.

Chances are pretty darn good that you will be fine going ahead with getting the headset.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.