Question Processor problem responsible for scrolling?

Nov 26, 2022
My computer has a 4790k i7. Recently many pages have started scrolling automatically, including apps like Excel (not the online version), Google Sheets (online version), many Windows 10 screens, like mouse adjustment and more. Even the screen before the PIN code input scrolls incessantly (which stops with pressing enter, changing to PIN input screen).
It’s unusable. I cannot use the spreadsheets. Any mouse movement starts the scrolling.
I have tried all the suggestions I have found, mostly related to mouse settings, to no avail. Microsof’s help was to reset the computer, deleting all my installed apps, of course.
I’d appreciate thoughts about this and my question: could this be a processor failure?

kanewolf

Titan
My computer has a 4790k i7. Recently many pages have started scrolling automatically, including apps like Excel (not the online version), Google Sheets (online version), many Windows 10 screens, like mouse adjustment and more. Even the screen before the PIN code input scrolls incessantly (which stops with pressing enter, changing to PIN input screen).
It’s unusable. I cannot use the spreadsheets. Any mouse movement starts the scrolling.
I have tried all the suggestions I have found, mostly related to mouse settings, to no avail. Microsof’s help was to reset the computer, deleting all my installed apps, of course.
I’d appreciate thoughts about this and my question: could this be a processor failure?
This definitely sounds like a software problem. I would recommend testing your hardware with a portable Linux OS booted from a flash drive.
If everything is stable there, I think you should consider a clean windows install.

DSzymborski

Titan
A CPU failure is by far the least likely cause; a failing CPU will pretty much either just not work or the PC will completely crash, and CPU failures themselves are fairly rare anyway. From what you describe, Abraham Lincoln's ghost possessing your mouse is probably more likely than a faulty CPU.

What are "all the suggestions you have found?" A mouse hardware problem seems most likely; did you try a different mouse? If so, does the behavior happen in another USB port? Did you wipe the drive and reinstall Windows?

Nov 26, 2022
A CPU failure is by far the least likely cause; a failing CPU will pretty much either just not work or the PC will completely crash, and CPU failures themselves are fairly rare anyway. From what you describe, Abraham Lincoln's ghost possessing your mouse is probably more likely than a faulty CPU.

What are "all the suggestions you have found?" A mouse hardware problem seems most likely; did you try a different mouse? If so, does the behavior happen in another USB port? Did you wipe the drive and reinstall Windows?

Nov 26, 2022
Yup. Tried 3 other wireless mice and a brand new one. Tested my keyboard- all seems well. It’s a usb wired keyboard. Tried several usb ports. Turned off scrolling in settings.
I have yet to try my wireless keyboard, but I will.
I think I have Linux on a usb stick, so I will try that too.
thanks,
Ken

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2022
Dear All,
The problem has suddenly stopped. Everything seems to work fine again - no unwanted scrolling. I did try my wireless keyboard. That wasn't it. I moved some of my USB cords to other ports, mainly because I could not access the tiny dongles where they were.
Personally, I think it was the threat of starting up the computer in Linux or maybe the threat of a clean Windows 10 Install.
Well, OK, maybe it was a USB port thing. I hope to never find out.
I didn't REALLY think it was the processor. I was desperate.
Thanks,
Ken