Processor temps. - Difference in readings

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Has anyone experienced software apps reporting different values for CPU
temps than the BIOS?

My BIOS reports 45-46C
Motherboard Monitor and Aida32 report 91-92C

Has anyone seen this before? I'm baffled. Asus P4T-M Socket 423 850 based.
Pentium 4 1300MHz.


--
Replace the obvious with "hotmail"
 

peter

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
3,226
0
20,780
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi,

It's hard to believe a P4 1.3 G can reach 91 to 92 degree C.
In fact the CPU burned at this temperature.

BTW, even the temp showed by the BIOS is too high at 45-46 degree C unless
it was measured at full loading.

My P4 2G northwood CPU run at 32 degree C at room temperature 23 degree C
and my P4 530 Prescout run at 40 to 60 degree C.

I would suggest you to check the chassis fans and CPU fan to ensure they are
running smoothly. Also make sure there is no blocking of ventilation inside
the chassis.

Peter

"DILIP" wrote:

> Has anyone experienced software apps reporting different values for CPU
> temps than the BIOS?
>
> My BIOS reports 45-46C
> Motherboard Monitor and Aida32 report 91-92C
>
> Has anyone seen this before? I'm baffled. Asus P4T-M Socket 423 850 based.
> Pentium 4 1300MHz.
>
>
> --
> Replace the obvious with "hotmail"
>
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

DILIP wrote:
> Has anyone experienced software apps reporting different values for
> CPU temps than the BIOS?
>
> My BIOS reports 45-46C
> Motherboard Monitor and Aida32 report 91-92C
>
> Has anyone seen this before? I'm baffled. Asus P4T-M Socket 423 850
> based. Pentium 4 1300MHz.


92°C?! I don't *THINK* so! There is no way in the Universe that a P4 1.3GHz
would boot with temps that high - that's 20°C over the Intel specified
maximum! I think it's more likely they're reporting 92°F (around 34°C) - or
you have them set up incorrectly.
--
Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
on salads.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

DILIP wrote:
> Has anyone experienced software apps reporting different values for CPU
> temps than the BIOS?
>
> My BIOS reports 45-46C
> Motherboard Monitor and Aida32 report 91-92C
>
> Has anyone seen this before? I'm baffled. Asus P4T-M Socket 423 850 based.
> Pentium 4 1300MHz.
>
>

I'll believe the BIOS temps. The MBM temps are way too high. With MBM, bring
up the Settings panel, select Temps, then select CPU, then walk down the list
of board sensors until you find one that agrees with the BIOS. Aida may have
something like MBM's choices; I stopped using it in favor of Everest, which
had the right temps out of the box.
--
Cheers, Bob
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2A8B20CE-5B48-44E1-9CA4-30A9B275AD44@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> It's hard to believe a P4 1.3 G can reach 91 to 92 degree C.
> In fact the CPU burned at this temperature.

That's what I thought as well. Yesterday, we opened the cabinet and the
heat sink fins were quite warm; this is in spite of the time elapsed for
shutting down, opening the cabinet screws (server build here) and detaching
the sink equipment.

>
> BTW, even the temp showed by the BIOS is too high at 45-46 degree C unless
> it was measured at full loading.

The temp has always been around 46C, even when I bought it. Probably
because I stay in the tropical region and the ambient temp is around 30C.
And yes, this is usually full loading.

>
> My P4 2G northwood CPU run at 32 degree C at room temperature 23 degree C
> and my P4 530 Prescout run at 40 to 60 degree C.
>
> I would suggest you to check the chassis fans and CPU fan to ensure they
> are
> running smoothly. Also make sure there is no blocking of ventilation
> inside
> the chassis.

All seems to be OK on that front, as I opened it all up yesterday. Also
scraped off the thermal paste and applied fresh paste. Thanks for your
help.


>
> Peter
>
> "DILIP" wrote:
>
>> Has anyone experienced software apps reporting different values for CPU
>> temps than the BIOS?
>>
>> My BIOS reports 45-46C
>> Motherboard Monitor and Aida32 report 91-92C
>>
>> Has anyone seen this before? I'm baffled. Asus P4T-M Socket 423 850
>> based.
>> Pentium 4 1300MHz.
>>
>>
>> --
>> Replace the obvious with "hotmail"
>>
>>
>>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

92 C will blister your fingers, 40 C is 104 F and is hot to
the touch but will not blister. Warm to the touch is
anything above skin temperature or about 90 F. Ask a nurse,
37C is normal human internal body temp or 98.6 F


--
The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.


"DILIP" <dilipr@#*&!%l.com> wrote in message
news:O7NNEca3EHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
|
| "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| news:2A8B20CE-5B48-44E1-9CA4-30A9B275AD44@microsoft.com...
| > Hi,
| >
| > It's hard to believe a P4 1.3 G can reach 91 to 92
degree C.
| > In fact the CPU burned at this temperature.
|
| That's what I thought as well. Yesterday, we opened the
cabinet and the
| heat sink fins were quite warm; this is in spite of the
time elapsed for
| shutting down, opening the cabinet screws (server build
here) and detaching
| the sink equipment.
|
| >
| > BTW, even the temp showed by the BIOS is too high at
45-46 degree C unless
| > it was measured at full loading.
|
| The temp has always been around 46C, even when I bought
it. Probably
| because I stay in the tropical region and the ambient temp
is around 30C.
| And yes, this is usually full loading.
|
| >
| > My P4 2G northwood CPU run at 32 degree C at room
temperature 23 degree C
| > and my P4 530 Prescout run at 40 to 60 degree C.
| >
| > I would suggest you to check the chassis fans and CPU
fan to ensure they
| > are
| > running smoothly. Also make sure there is no blocking of
ventilation
| > inside
| > the chassis.
|
| All seems to be OK on that front, as I opened it all up
yesterday. Also
| scraped off the thermal paste and applied fresh paste.
Thanks for your
| help.
|
|
| >
| > Peter
| >
| > "DILIP" wrote:
| >
| >> Has anyone experienced software apps reporting
different values for CPU
| >> temps than the BIOS?
| >>
| >> My BIOS reports 45-46C
| >> Motherboard Monitor and Aida32 report 91-92C
| >>
| >> Has anyone seen this before? I'm baffled. Asus P4T-M
Socket 423 850
| >> based.
| >> Pentium 4 1300MHz.
| >>
| >>
| >> --
| >> Replace the obvious with "hotmail"
| >>
| >>
| >>
|
|
|
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Both software report the temp in degrees C. When I change the units, it
reports ~194F. There's another thing I should mention here that really got
me worried - yesterday for the first time I got a BSOD crash while playing
GTA - And this has never occurred in XP here, before. The crash dump was
written and the system forcibly rebooted. All other software and hardware
work perfectly - The system is a fast one, generally.

--
Replace the obvious with "hotmail"

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message
news:74Htd.15223$SN6.11733@fe48.usenetserver.com...
> DILIP wrote:
>> Has anyone experienced software apps reporting different values for
>> CPU temps than the BIOS?
>>
>> My BIOS reports 45-46C
>> Motherboard Monitor and Aida32 report 91-92C
>>
>> Has anyone seen this before? I'm baffled. Asus P4T-M Socket 423 850
>> based. Pentium 4 1300MHz.
>
>
> 92°C?! I don't *THINK* so! There is no way in the Universe that a P4
> 1.3GHz would boot with temps that high - that's 20°C over the Intel
> specified maximum! I think it's more likely they're reporting 92°F (around
> 34°C) - or you have them set up incorrectly.
> --
> Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
> on salads.
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

None of them are around 46-50C except the case/board temperature which is a
separate entity and is ~40C, correctly reported in the BIOS as well as
software. As for AIDA32, it has reported correct temps in the past, but I
loaded Everest anyway, and the result is the same. The puzzling thing is
that all these readings would correspond typically to one and the same
sensor; wouldn't they? This difference is extremely odd. One of my geek
friends suggested re-flashing it and changing the battery. I re-flashed,
but the result is the same. The only thing left to do would be to change
the battery - But FWIW the computer keeps good time and shows no signs of
failure on that part.

I'll can attach a screenshot of the MBM readings if it helps.

--
Replace the obvious with "hotmail"

"Bob Willard" <BobwBSGS@TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote in message
news:%23225$LZ3EHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> DILIP wrote:
>> Has anyone experienced software apps reporting different values for CPU
>> temps than the BIOS?
>>
>> My BIOS reports 45-46C
>> Motherboard Monitor and Aida32 report 91-92C
>>
>> Has anyone seen this before? I'm baffled. Asus P4T-M Socket 423 850
>> based.
>> Pentium 4 1300MHz.
>>
>>
>
> I'll believe the BIOS temps. The MBM temps are way too high. With MBM,
> bring
> up the Settings panel, select Temps, then select CPU, then walk down the
> list
> of board sensors until you find one that agrees with the BIOS. Aida may
> have
> something like MBM's choices; I stopped using it in favor of Everest,
> which
> had the right temps out of the box.
> --
> Cheers, Bob
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

That's CPU temperature, Jim. We are talking about touching the fins of a
heat sink (these are already at a lower temp than the CPU). The are thin
strips of metal, have a high heat transfer co-efficient and an enhanced
surface area for heat dissipation and typically would lose large amounts of
heat very fast through conduction and radiation, apart from natural
convection. Temps can fall *quite* fast.

--
Replace the obvious with "hotmail"

"Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
news:OeC6ySb3EHA.208@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> 92 C will blister your fingers, 40 C is 104 F and is hot to
> the touch but will not blister. Warm to the touch is
> anything above skin temperature or about 90 F. Ask a nurse,
> 37C is normal human internal body temp or 98.6 F
>
>
> --
> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
>
>
> "DILIP" <dilipr@#*&!%l.com> wrote in message
> news:O7NNEca3EHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> |
> | "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | news:2A8B20CE-5B48-44E1-9CA4-30A9B275AD44@microsoft.com...
> | > Hi,
> | >
> | > It's hard to believe a P4 1.3 G can reach 91 to 92
> degree C.
> | > In fact the CPU burned at this temperature.
> |
> | That's what I thought as well. Yesterday, we opened the
> cabinet and the
> | heat sink fins were quite warm; this is in spite of the
> time elapsed for
> | shutting down, opening the cabinet screws (server build
> here) and detaching
> | the sink equipment.
> |
> | >
> | > BTW, even the temp showed by the BIOS is too high at
> 45-46 degree C unless
> | > it was measured at full loading.
> |
> | The temp has always been around 46C, even when I bought
> it. Probably
> | because I stay in the tropical region and the ambient temp
> is around 30C.
> | And yes, this is usually full loading.
> |
> | >
> | > My P4 2G northwood CPU run at 32 degree C at room
> temperature 23 degree C
> | > and my P4 530 Prescout run at 40 to 60 degree C.
> | >
> | > I would suggest you to check the chassis fans and CPU
> fan to ensure they
> | > are
> | > running smoothly. Also make sure there is no blocking of
> ventilation
> | > inside
> | > the chassis.
> |
> | All seems to be OK on that front, as I opened it all up
> yesterday. Also
> | scraped off the thermal paste and applied fresh paste.
> Thanks for your
> | help.
> |
> |
> | >
> | > Peter
> | >
> | > "DILIP" wrote:
> | >
> | >> Has anyone experienced software apps reporting
> different values for CPU
> | >> temps than the BIOS?
> | >>
> | >> My BIOS reports 45-46C
> | >> Motherboard Monitor and Aida32 report 91-92C
> | >>
> | >> Has anyone seen this before? I'm baffled. Asus P4T-M
> Socket 423 850
> | >> based.
> | >> Pentium 4 1300MHz.
> | >>
> | >>
> | >> --
> | >> Replace the obvious with "hotmail"
> | >>
> | >>
> | >>
> |
> |
> |
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

CPU or heat sink, the temperature effect will be the same.
The comment was made "the heat sink fins were quite warm"
and I simply supplied a reference to that subjective
feeling. But if the CPU was at 92C the heat sink would have
been conducting that temperature to the fins.

BTW, temperature and heat are two different things.
If you have a gram of nitrogen gas at a temperature of 100 C
and you place your hand in the gas, it will not cause any
injury since there is only one gram of a low specific heat
material. But 1 gram of iron at 100 C dropped in your hand
will burn your skin.

BTW2, I know what a heat sink is.


--
The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.


"DILIP" <dilipr@#*&!%l.com> wrote in message
news:uRZf9yc3EHA.3820@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
| That's CPU temperature, Jim. We are talking about
touching the fins of a
| heat sink (these are already at a lower temp than the
CPU). The are thin
| strips of metal, have a high heat transfer co-efficient
and an enhanced
| surface area for heat dissipation and typically would lose
large amounts of
| heat very fast through conduction and radiation, apart
from natural
| convection. Temps can fall *quite* fast.
|
| --
| Replace the obvious with "hotmail"
|
| "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
in message
| news:OeC6ySb3EHA.208@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| > 92 C will blister your fingers, 40 C is 104 F and is hot
to
| > the touch but will not blister. Warm to the touch is
| > anything above skin temperature or about 90 F. Ask a
nurse,
| > 37C is normal human internal body temp or 98.6 F
| >
| >
| > --
| > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
| > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
| >
| >
| > "DILIP" <dilipr@#*&!%l.com> wrote in message
| > news:O7NNEca3EHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| > |
| > | "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
| > |
news:2A8B20CE-5B48-44E1-9CA4-30A9B275AD44@microsoft.com...
| > | > Hi,
| > | >
| > | > It's hard to believe a P4 1.3 G can reach 91 to 92
| > degree C.
| > | > In fact the CPU burned at this temperature.
| > |
| > | That's what I thought as well. Yesterday, we opened
the
| > cabinet and the
| > | heat sink fins were quite warm; this is in spite of
the
| > time elapsed for
| > | shutting down, opening the cabinet screws (server
build
| > here) and detaching
| > | the sink equipment.
| > |
| > | >
| > | > BTW, even the temp showed by the BIOS is too high at
| > 45-46 degree C unless
| > | > it was measured at full loading.
| > |
| > | The temp has always been around 46C, even when I
bought
| > it. Probably
| > | because I stay in the tropical region and the ambient
temp
| > is around 30C.
| > | And yes, this is usually full loading.
| > |
| > | >
| > | > My P4 2G northwood CPU run at 32 degree C at room
| > temperature 23 degree C
| > | > and my P4 530 Prescout run at 40 to 60 degree C.
| > | >
| > | > I would suggest you to check the chassis fans and
CPU
| > fan to ensure they
| > | > are
| > | > running smoothly. Also make sure there is no
blocking of
| > ventilation
| > | > inside
| > | > the chassis.
| > |
| > | All seems to be OK on that front, as I opened it all
up
| > yesterday. Also
| > | scraped off the thermal paste and applied fresh paste.
| > Thanks for your
| > | help.
| > |
| > |
| > | >
| > | > Peter
| > | >
| > | > "DILIP" wrote:
| > | >
| > | >> Has anyone experienced software apps reporting
| > different values for CPU
| > | >> temps than the BIOS?
| > | >>
| > | >> My BIOS reports 45-46C
| > | >> Motherboard Monitor and Aida32 report 91-92C
| > | >>
| > | >> Has anyone seen this before? I'm baffled. Asus
P4T-M
| > Socket 423 850
| > | >> based.
| > | >> Pentium 4 1300MHz.
| > | >>
| > | >>
| > | >> --
| > | >> Replace the obvious with "hotmail"
| > | >>
| > | >>
| > | >>
| > |
| > |
| > |
| >
| >
|
|