Processor Upgrade Help

Apr 15, 2018
Hi, my system is HP Compaq 8000 Elite Sff with 8 G of Ram, amd radeon 700 series Gpu, a 240 W spu and a Intel Pentium E5300 cpu. I wanted to upgrade my cpu so I bought a Intel core 2 quad Q9400, unfortunately when I turned on my computer It wouldn't boot. After some research I found that, for some reason I cannot comprehend, my Hp 3646h isn't compatible with this cpu. So I'm looking for a compatible quad core cpu to my computer. Does anyone have any recommendations?
And also does anyone know why doesnt the Q9400 work?

Solution
They appear to be the same machine listed in different languages for different regions. However, on that Portuguese page see if you can find the same support document (navigating through Google Translate isn't easy)
Apr 15, 2018

I'm so sorry I didn't realize 3646h is a Intel Q45 Express thank you so much SchizTech and volkgren.

But, for the sake of curiosity do you know why does Q9550 work but Q 9400 doensn't?

When it comes to OEM vendor built PCs like HP and Dell, your processor upgrade potentials are hit or miss. There are many reasons for this, but the main one is that they lock down the motherboard BIOS to prevent someone from upgrading or downgrading and selling the PC as something it is not. I'm not sure if that is your case here, but you need to find the maintenance manual for your PC

Apr 15, 2018

I see, thanks for repleying, it's a shame but if that's the case there is nothing I can do. Thanks a lot

4745454b

Titan
Update the bios? That would be my first guess. That chipset does support all the C2Qs Intel released. The only reason it wouldn't is if there isn't a bios for it. It's possible that HP didn't make a bios for that CPU because they wanted you to buy a bigger machine.

Apr 15, 2018

Thanks for your reply. Should I just update to the most recent Bios avaible or to a specific one?