Processor with higher FSB then motherboard

samtboland

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
Hi, my main computer broke so I was trying to figure out what was causing it problems. I tested the RAM and it wasn't that, the PSU was good, the hard drive was fine, etc. So I wanted to move onto testing the processor: I have a q6600 processor, and my secondary computer has a socket 775 motherboard as well. However, the motherboards FSB is 800mhz, and the q6600 has a FSB of 1066. Is it alright to test the CPU in the motherboard?

(The motherboard is from a Dell 4700, it's a OM3918 motherboard made by Dell. The chipset (I dunno if this is important to the question) is Intel i915P/i915G.

Sorry for confusion, I was just looking at CPUZ, I think it's an 800mhz board because the CPU in it right now has a FSB of 800mhz, but I can't see where it explicetly says the motherboard has a FSB of 800mhz.

I hope this is enough information for people to help,

Thanks ahead of time,

--
Sam

G

more than likely it will not work... if not for the FSB, for the fact the MB probably won't support the processor series even if it did work at that fsb...

to test your processor download prime95 and run that (use the latest one... past 2.5 or 25. I forget exactly) and run the small ftp test for atleast 8 hours to know if its stable... then run blend test...

I could get my processor to pass small ftp... but not blend, blend usually takes a little bit more volts and it also tests memory and the link between the memory and the cpu (mobo) so do that before you do anything else

EDIT: it could also just be a faulty mobo... its more likely that then a bad cpu

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
I doubt the CPU will work in that Mobo.
And it's more likely that the fact it is a quad than the FSB.

Often the CPU will downclock with the FSB.
However, since those boards know nothing about 4 cores, they will be confused as all get out.

br3nd064

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
It probably won't work. The cpu speed is much higher than what is supported by the motherboard, and the cpu is a quad. I don't know if that motherboard even supports duals.

samtboland

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
So sounds like no.
Other then finding someone with a motherboard that supports my CPU, is there any way to test it? Also, could using a bad processor on another computer possibly damage it in any way? My dad has a work computer with a motherboard that supports it, but he's afraid using a faulty processor could break it or some other component on his computer. Is there any danger in that?

Thanks again,

--
Sam

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
It's unlikely to cause a problem.
However, it is also unlikely the CPU is bad.
It's probably the mobo.
CPUs going bad are rare, unless you do some really funky overclocking stuff such as extreme voltages.

samtboland

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's the mobo because my last on broke (it's a 780i...) and I got a refurb RMA one which booted and then crashed and then never worked again. The tech guy wanted me to try testing everything else before I applied for another RMA.

thanks