Product Key help - please!

Installed XP Pro at work from the network which never asked for my product
key. Got home and ran Windows Update several times until I got the Validation
tool which says my version has a privately owned multi-user license and I can
no longer get updates.

I have a valid product key and disk which is still in the shrink wrap.
Windows update says my version isn't valid and I'd like to update the product
key with my own legit one. Where and how do I do this?

In news:1BCDE97E-6C20-464B-AD20-78456D156FFD@microsoft.com,
Rezendes <Rezendes@discussions.microsoft.com> replied with a ;-)
> Installed XP Pro at work from the network which never asked for my
> product key. Got home and ran Windows Update several times until I
> got the Validation tool which says my version has a privately owned
> multi-user license and I can no longer get updates.
>
> I have a valid product key and disk which is still in the shrink wrap.
> Windows update says my version isn't valid and I'd like to update the
> product key with my own legit one. Where and how do I do this?

Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
if using the web based newsgroup.
I need to change my XP Product KEY #18 on the FAQ list
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

Even if you were asked for a key, yours probably would not have worked since
work probably has Volume License and you retail or OEM.
The different types are incompatible..

Perform a Repair Installation using your CD and your Product Key:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

Rezendes wrote:
> Installed XP Pro at work from the network which never asked for my product
> key. Got home and ran Windows Update several times until I got the Validation
> tool which says my version has a privately owned multi-user license and I can
> no longer get updates.
>
> I have a valid product key and disk which is still in the shrink wrap.
> Windows update says my version isn't valid and I'd like to update the product
> key with my own legit one. Where and how do I do this?

You need to use your legitimate full license of WinXP Pro to
perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, using the new
CD and Product Keys.

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm