Product (RED) Mac Pro Fetches $977,000 at Auction

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatsaltedone

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
I'm no fan of Apple, but those are some serious specs. You could virtualize that machine and use it to feed "dumb" workstations across the house and/or small business.

The auction price is just silly, but at least it went to charity.

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
I love the design/color on this one; not only does it look like its designed by Ferrari, but its also symbolic of my feelings towards Apple is general.

So this is the same as the Black colored Mac Pro, apart from the fact its Red. So instead of lets say 5-6K$ someone pays near 1m $ for the color (upgrade to apple fans).

And here comes what I read somewhere:
Apple is for people that their wallet is bigger than their logic...

shardey

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

Did you read the article at all? It's one of a kind and the money was donated to charity.

This is an generous contribution by Apple, regardless of who you are.

bjaminnyc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Read the article before you criticize. Who ever bought this item just donated a ton of loot to charity. Likely more so for the write off but who cares.

To both of you:
Of course I read the article. And ofcourse the money will go for charity. And Apple did this because they are humanitarians. hmmmm.... Fishy, isnt it?

But people should learn not only to read an article, but also understand the facts and be able to criticize. Well everyone has the right not to criticize and just read the article like a scanner machine ofc...

From my perspective, Apple did a clever move to advertise their company again (you can find it in other sites of the web also). The guy that bought it, just wanted to have a unique mac pro for showing off.
For other people, they are humanitarians/philanthropists that don't care about their wallet. They only care about world peace and happiness all over the world.
Everyone is free to have his opinion...
I chose mine...

while i am all for charity, this would have been better IF apple matched whatever the price the items were sold. They are the biggest company in the world, and all they can do is this? If that trash can (yes nice specs i agree) sold for 1M, apple could've also donated another 1M.
sheesh, even Bill Gates is more generous than the wealthiest company in the world, and he's using his own money

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
wait, wait, wait. are you guys seriously giving flak to apple because they could have donated MORE? I DON'T SEE ANY OF YOU MAKING ANY DONATIONS. INTERESTING. YOU GUYS ARE PROBABLY JUST AS GREEDY.

seriously though, stfu. they aren't required to donate anything.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010

Apple matches employee contributions for charitable giving. In Cupertino alone Apple paid $2.9 billion in salaries in 2012. The average US citizen donates 1.38% of their income to charity. This amounts to $40 million just for Apple employees in Cupertino (excluding retail stores).

If all Apple employees had Apple match then Apple would have also paid $40 million. We don't know how many employees would get Apple to match and we don't know if an Apple employee only gives 1.38% (professionals in the US with higher incomes typically donate more than the 1.38% average).

Bottom line is Apple very likely donates tens of millions just by matching employees.

Bill & Melinda Gates matched the $13 million raised by selling all the RED items which is why the total hit $26 million. Bono cracked a joke about it being "bipartisan" donations.

Smellis Jellis

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
"eklipz330 , November 25, 2013 4:25 PM
wait, wait, wait. are you guys seriously giving flak to apple because they could have donated MORE? I DON'T SEE ANY OF YOU MAKING ANY DONATIONS. INTERESTING. YOU GUYS ARE PROBABLY JUST AS GREEDY.

seriously though, stfu. they aren't required to donate anything."

Totally agree- everyone is caught up speculating what Apple's true intentions might be when the whole point is completely lost- regardless of what their intentions are and what the buyer's intentions are, the money is going to a charity.

I'd love to see what everyone criticizing Apple does for charitable work here. The people that benefit from these charities don't give a damn what the intention of the donor was- they just need the resources period.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
and apparently Apple will now shove thunderbolt down our throats ( thanks Intel ). NOTICE THIS THING DOESN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT USB. It's like paying 100k for car without a windshield. Great you can show it off, but you can't actually USE it. Apple needs to stop jaming technologies down consumers throats. They already did it with the Intel Mac crap, iTunes on everything. Quicktime. Apple update software that eats up 80% of CPU's at idle (wintel boxes...you know the ones that are used AT WORK ). Thunderbolt didn't succeed. MOVE ON. Firewire tried and had a brief success rate and then USB2 came and blew away any hope for firewire. WE DONT NEED ANOTHER DAMN CONNECTOR. If you can't do SS USB3, then give up. Try making prodcuts people want, not telling people what they want.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010

I see you're posting the same crap here as everywhere else. And putting Infowars in your sig? Might as well put "Look at me, I'm an idiot" in your sig instead.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Whoever bought this got seriously lucky. Not only did he get a one of a kind computer, but at $977,000 he actually got it for slightly less than MSRP of the standard version everyone else can buy.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

Not sure where you are getting your info from, but I googled Mac Pro to see if the trashcan looking thing in this article was actually what it would look like as I had not seen the announcement previously. The first picture that came up, showed USB ports on the back. The spec sheet lists 4 USB 3.0 ports, which the picture confirmed, so stop spreading BS.

bjaminnyc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
"From my perspective, Apple did a clever move to advertise their company again (you can find it in other sites of the web also). The guy that bought it, just wanted to have a unique mac pro for showing off. "

Apple had very little to do with the auction, it was held by The World Fund. Nearly all of the items donated for the auction were red. Whoever bought the item will probably just give it away or let their assistant keep it. I imagine they could care less if there was even components in the case. Clearly you've never been to a high dollar charity event. 10k a head galas have nothing to do with diamond crusted chicken being served, its more an opportunity for the wealthy to kick it with other wealthy folks under the guise of helping a cause.

A Steinway sold for nearly $2 mil, that's something that might actually make it into the buyers house. These things are just an opportunity to show off.

Status
Not open for further replies.