ny2002jk

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Basically i am looking for recomendations on a product that could boost the range of my wireless. My friend up the street lets me use his internet and I want to connect to his. I currently am doing so, but I have very poor reception/bars/signal...whatever you want to call it, and currently i have to deal with constant loss of signal. So is there a decent product that gets good/very good range?

G

If your wireless adapter has a removable antenna (often on PCI type adapters) you may benefit from using a high-gain directional antenna -- have a look on e-bay. But first figure out (if the antenna is removable) what connector it uses.

You could apply the same measure at your friend's wireless router (again assuming the antenna can be removed) Note that this combination would be highly directional and would involve lining up the antennas quite accurately.

If you have a USB type adapter, adding a USB extension lead may improve your signal (by allowing you to position the dongle more effectively).

You could both switch to high gain router and adapter units (at some cost naturally).

More simply, reception can be improved dramatically by positioning both router and (receiving) computer next to a window -- as wireless travels better thru galss and air than thru bricks and mortar.

TRENDING THREADS