[SOLVED] Productivity/gaming system.

simbas

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
Hi. I’m a pro photographer converting around 100 raw photos in Photoshop practically on a daily basis and my current system is getting old, so I need a new one. I’d also like to play a game or two once in a while. Anyway, this is what I had in mind: I already have a new 800W PSU and an MSI GTX 1060 GPU. I’ll probably be buying an AMD Ryzen 3800x CPU, G.skill Trident Z 16Gb 3600Mhz CL16 and a Crucial Mp600 1Tb m.2 SSD. How important is the mobo? Would an Asus Tuf Gaming (200€) be good enough? As for the case I have no idea. It would be nice to have a 3.1 Gen 2 USB port in front for the card reader or an USB stick, since I hate sitting and waiting for long periods of time at the computer. My budget is somewhere around 1000-1200€. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Solution
You still have very nice build. Do you have ssd? If not, it would be great improvment if you get it even 2,5" sata ssd. You can change your case, or add card reader in cdrom place how I said before. You can clean you pc, change thermal paste if temps are high, update bios, reinstall windows if do it long time ago and etc. You can exchange your cpu to i7-2600k,(or 3770k if motherboard supports it) and overclock a bit for better performance, cause you have p67 board that allows you overclock, but you need better cpu cooler if you use stock. Also I check components health, and performance. There is a lots benchmarks and software like crystal disc info, memtest, hwinfo, etc. Change your psu if it's old, out of warranty and poor quality. You...

Blitz Blitz

Distinguished
May 18, 2015
What is full spec. of your old/current build, and how old is? Maybe you can upgrade some parts, and save a lot of money? Motherboard importance is if you wanna overclock, or not. Also there is more features on expensive boards. But it also depends you use it, or not. Maybe you can be good with cheap motherboard. You can use usb/card reader/ and etc. In cdrom place for example: https://www.newegg.com/en-labs-11-001-183-all-in-one/p/0DS-00DC-00003

So you can choose your case without usb ports in front, by your taste.

simbas

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
Thanks Blitz! My current system is at least 8 years old, i7 2600 cpu, asus p67 mobo, 16gb of relatively slow ram, an old, battered case with broken usb ports... it’s high time I upgrade and since it’s going to pay for my bills, 1000€+ really isn’t such a huge expense. Ok, so mobo doesn’t need to cost 400€+ to be reliable. I don’t intend to overclock.

Blitz Blitz

Distinguished
May 18, 2015
You still have very nice build. Do you have ssd? If not, it would be great improvment if you get it even 2,5" sata ssd. You can change your case, or add card reader in cdrom place how I said before. You can clean you pc, change thermal paste if temps are high, update bios, reinstall windows if do it long time ago and etc. You can exchange your cpu to i7-2600k,(or 3770k if motherboard supports it) and overclock a bit for better performance, cause you have p67 board that allows you overclock, but you need better cpu cooler if you use stock. Also I check components health, and performance. There is a lots benchmarks and software like crystal disc info, memtest, hwinfo, etc. Change your psu if it's old, out of warranty and poor quality. You can upgrade to new system, it's up to you. But yours is still nice...

Last edited:
Reactions: simbas
Solution

simbas

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008
Oh, I didn’t know about the missing header in the TUF mobo, thanks for that.

I already decided it’s time for an upgrade. 8 cores vs 4 cores makes a difference when converting raw files and I guess in othes aspects too. But I agree, a new case, some maintenence and a fresh instal of Windows would speed things up for sure.

I‘ll go check for suitable motherboards then.

Thanks!