Question Looking for IPS Ultrawide

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 16, 2019
Currently I have 3 Monitors, each of them are 240hz but they're boring. I bought them originally for gaming but I don't game much anymore I just edit photos, draw on my drawing tablet, and edit videos for youtube so I've decided to look for a ips ultrawide because of the colours and because it would probably best fit my needs.

My budget is £1000 GBP and if possible I want a good looking monitor and with a refresh rate preferably over 100hz. I don't really wan t a 2560x1080 monitor I want a 3440x1440 monitor.

If you know any nice monitors I should put on the sides (2 monitors) leave them in the comments too, if you think one ultrawide is enough let me know too because I've never had a ultrawide.

Thing I have open 24/7:
  • Chrome
  • Spotify
  • Discord

^^ If that helps with me asking if one ultrawide is enough.

Specs: RTX 2080 + i7 8086k + 16GB DDR4 3200MHZ

Currently I have 3 Monitors, each of them are 240hz but they're boring. I bought them originally for gaming but I don't game much anymore I just edit photos, draw on my drawing tablet, and edit videos for youtube so I've decided to look for a ips ultrawide because of the colours and because it would probably best fit my needs.

My budget is £1000 GBP and if possible I want a good looking monitor and with a refresh rate preferably over 100hz. I don't really wan t a 2560x1080 monitor I want a 3440x1440 monitor.

If you know any nice monitors I should put on the sides (2 monitors) leave them in the comments too, if you think one ultrawide is enough let me know too because I've never had a ultrawide.

Thing I have open 24/7:
  • Chrome
  • Spotify
  • Discord
^^ If that helps with me asking if one ultrawide is enough.

Specs: RTX 2080 + i7 8086k + 16GB DDR4 3200MHZ

Pick the one you like the best, they are all good.

May 16, 2019
I'm in the market for an ultrawide but I don't know if I should get a 75hz one with an ips panel and such since I don't play games too often, i play 3 times a week at most but i play demanding games. i have a rtx 2080 and a i7 8086k so its not a big issue but my main concern is this:

do i go for a productivity ultrawide or go for a gaming ultrawide? what do you think? which monitor in particular?

please help and thank you!

WildCard999

Titan
With your system specs for ultrawide resolution I'd go 3440x1440. As for what refresh rate to get, well that comes down to the games you play. If your playing fast paced highly competitive games such as FPS then 100hz may be what you want but since your not gaming much a 60-75hz monitor should be more then enough. Go for either a VA or IPS panel as they both have really good colors. If your doing productivity work you may want to pass on the curved versions and get a flat one.

What is your budget?

May 16, 2019
With your system specs for ultrawide resolution I'd go 3440x1440. As for what refresh rate to get, well that comes down to the games you play. If your playing fast paced highly competitive games such as FPS then 100hz may be what you want but since your not gaming much a 60-75hz monitor should be more then enough. Go for either a VA or IPS panel as they both have really good colors. If your doing productivity work you may want to pass on the curved versions and get a flat one.

What is your budget?
I want a curved one since I'm not doing intense working, just editing. i have a 240hz monitor rn so the change is probably gonna be pretty big but if you can help me out id be thankful. budget is £1000

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'd go with a better screen. Big problems with 60Hz monitors, long hours and eyestrain. This generally means a higher frequency, low bluelight version.
TN panels are fast, but dirty. They offer the best input lag times, but trade off with low color saturation, uneven backlighting etc.
IPS typically have lower frequency, and higher input lag, but offer the best viewing angles, best color saturation etc.
VA panels are a jack of all trades, better colors and angles than TN, not as good as IPS, but the worst for fast gaming due to input lag.

So if your game is Skyrim, then IPS is best. If your game is CS:GO, then TN is best. If you flip between both, VA is best compromise.

For long hours editing, low bluelight, higher feq like 72-75Hz is better.

Curved or flat is a personal choice mostly, only things like engineering, graphics design need flat panels as lines need to be dead straight, which gets a little screwed on a curved monitor.

UW or even Super-UW is great for production, especially editing as it allows for full size time-lines that usually get cutoff or sectioned or shrunk on a standard widescreen. The offset is many games have little or no support for those resolutions, so the picture needs 16:9 standard and wide black bars on the sides.

View: https://youtu.be/XdsbaeiXNfA

I've used dual monitors for years, the real-estate offered is far superior to that of a single screen, just doing comparisons, gaming on one with wiki or Google open on the other etc. The superwides offer that as a single screen. They just aren't cheap.

Last edited:
May 16, 2019
I'd go with a better screen. Big problems with 60Hz monitors, long hours and eyestrain. This generally means a higher frequency, low bluelight version.
TN panels are fast, but dirty. They offer the best input lag times, but trade off with low color saturation, uneven backlighting etc.
IPS typically have lower frequency, and higher input lag, but offer the best viewing angles, best color saturation etc.
VA panels are a jack of all trades, better colors and angles than TN, not as good as IPS, but the worst for fast gaming due to input lag.

So if your game is Skyrim, then IPS is best. If your game is CS:GO, then TN is best. If you flip between both, VA is best compromise.

For long hours editing, low bluelight, higher feq like 72-75Hz is better.

Curved or flat is a personal choice mostly, only things like engineering, graphics design need flat panels as lines need to be dead straight, which gets a little screwed on a curved monitor.

UW or even Super-UW is great for production, especially editing as it allows for full size time-lines that usually get cutoff or sectioned or shrunk on a standard widescreen. The offset is many games have little or no support for those resolutions, so the picture needs 16:9 standard and wide black bars on the sides.

I tend to edit videos, watch netflix and youtube videos for 90% of my day, other 10% is me actually playing a game but normally its just a light game like cluster truck, i play fortnite or whatnot on the side but the game is so bad now. i dont wanna go for that 49' because i feel like its "too" long, my desk is 200cm x 60cm and that will literally make my whole setup keyboard, mouse, monitor and nothing on the sides to add some hints you know, any other suggestions?

edit: IPS preferred

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
200cm is 6½ feet wide. That's plenty of room for a 4 ft wide monitor, or a smaller version like 43" unless there's a bookshelf surrounding it etc.

Thing about the superwides is that there's little tab usage. You can edit, Netflix, YouTube all open on the same screen at the same time. Even be gaming etc. I like dual screens for that purpose, I'll have hints/directions or maps open on 1 screen and game on the other, my wife finds it extremely easy for office work, cut/copy/paste etc as it's a simple move of the mouse, not flipping through tabs. The bonus to the SW is that there's no bars in the center, so there's all the size and real-estate of duals, yet fully centered viewing.

Last edited:
May 16, 2019
200cm is 6½ feet wide. That's plenty of room for a 4 ft wide monitor, or a smaller version like 43" unless there's a bookshelf surrounding it etc.

do you generally think it's worth? It's honestly really well priced but im taking about 1. can my pc run it (2080 + i7 8086k) and 2. it's not a ips panel so how are the colours

WildCard999

Titan
I want a curved one since I'm not doing intense working, just editing. i have a 240hz monitor rn so the change is probably gonna be pretty big but if you can help me out id be thankful. budget is £1000
You won't need to spend that much, this 3440x1440P/IPS/120hz/Gsync ultra wide is what I'd get.

PCPartPicker Part List
Monitor: Acer - Predator X34P 34.0" 3440x1440 120 Hz Monitor (£649.99 @ Box Limited)
Total: £649.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-18 17:45 BST+0100

May 16, 2019

WildCard999

Titan
This Dell has a cleaner look but that price...

PCPartPicker Part List
Monitor: Dell - AW3418DW 34.1" 3440x1440 120 Hz Monitor (£1021.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £1021.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-18 17:53 BST+0100

Or go with a 100hz/VA/Freesync version (With newer Nvidia drivers you can use Freesync) and save some money. I really doubt you'll see a difference between 100hz and 120hz and VA colors are still good.

PCPartPicker Part List
Monitor: Asus - MX34VQ 34.0" 3440x1440 100 Hz Monitor (£576.81 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £576.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-18 17:54 BST+0100

May 16, 2019

PCPartPicker Part List

Or go with a 100hz/VA/Freesync version (With newer Nvidia drivers you can use Freesync) and save some money. I really doubt you'll see a difference between 100hz and 120hz and VA colors are still good.

PCPartPicker Part List
do you know if theres any monitors 100hz, 3440x1440 or 3840x1080 over 34" ish, ips and looks sleek? the alienware has really nice specs but the problem is it's too futuristic and the asus cant be mounted, sounds petty but i dont want to spend a lot on a monitor just to return it

May 16, 2019

Thing about the superwides is that there's little tab usage. You can edit, Netflix, YouTube all open on the same screen at the same time. Even be gaming etc. I like dual screens for that purpose, I'll have hints/directions or maps open on 1 screen and game on the other, my wife finds it extremely easy for office work, cut/copy/paste etc as it's a simple move of the mouse, not flipping through tabs. The bonus to the SW is that there's no bars in the center, so there's all the size and real-estate of duals, yet fully centered viewing.

PCPartPicker Part List

PCPartPicker Part List

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-3...-curved-widescreen-led-monitor-mo-14x-lg.html would this be a good choice? little more expensive but £150 never broke the bank

May 16, 2019

PCPartPicker Part List

PCPartPicker Part List

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-3...-curved-widescreen-led-monitor-mo-14x-lg.html would this be a good choice? little more expensive but £150 never broke the bank

WildCard999

Titan
May 16, 2019
It's very nice, LG makes some really nice ultra wides, I own the LG 34WK650-W and love it. That being said though, is it worth paying that much more for IPS, 20 more hz & Gsync? If it were me I'd say no but to each there own.
Honestly probably not but I just want a nice looking monitor like that one, with good specs and cheaper, do you know any?

Status
Not open for further replies.