productivity PC build for under 1,400AUD - Need recomendations!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Allanco

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
Hey guys,
This is my first time building a PC and I'm a bit unsure if I've chosen wisely.
I'm not really into gaming, more looking for a productivity build.
I'm a 2nd year electrical engineering student so I'll need a video card that can handle some 3D simulations, nothing over the top.

I've spent the past 3 days researching and this is what I've come up with: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/WgfdVY
I still need to find a motherboard, but I'm unsure if I should put more money into my graphic card or if the GTX1050 Ti will be enough?

I'm also unsure if I should upgrade to the Intel i7 6700 from the i7 7700, considering that I've only got limited funds.

Any thoughts regarding this build would be most appreciated
Thanks!

(Motherboard recommendations welcome!)

Solution

Welp, you don't need any strong GPUs for that then! You want as much cores and video outputs. Multiple monitors help the workflow a lot.

Would suggest this build:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($419.00 @ Shopping Express)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-D3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.00 @ Shopping Express)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($195.00 @ Shopping Express)
Storage: Crucial - MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($419.00 @ Shopping Express)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350M-A Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($118.00 @ Shopping Express)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($193.82 @ Skycomp Technology)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.00 @ Centre Com)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($93.00 @ Shopping Express)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card ($258.00 @ Shopping Express)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G Mini (Black) MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($85.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($85.00 @ Shopping Express)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
Total: $1380.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-21 11:34 AEST+1000

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's nothing inherently wrong with the CX430 as such. Of all the CX line it's probably the best performing overall. That said, the CX (and even Corsair agrees) is designed as a stock replacement not as a gaming quality psu. While h is what's needed with any pc that has high chances of long-term higher power draw from a cpu or gpu at high % usage. The CX line itself, including the CX430 has 1 major drawback, it's life expectancy. Under office use, basic home pc use, the CX will last years, no issue. Under high draw, high demand usage, like seen under gaming loads, the CX has an average lifespan of @18months. With some units lasting years with no issues, that puts the other end of the scale with many lasting hours-days.

With as important as the psu is, I mean it IS responsible for the health of every single other component, goin cheap is a definite No-No.

Looking at your uses I honestly don't see the need for the ryzen 1700 , the 1600 is honestly going to be more than enough .

In that respect I've taken your budget & allowed more for the case.

When you're talking long use productivity I wouldn't skimp on the case & the fractal defines would always be first choice sue to their near silent operation.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($289.00 @ Shopping Express)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($124.00 @ Umart)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($197.01 @ Skycomp Technology)
Storage: Crucial - MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($135.00 @ Umart)
Storage: Toshiba - 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($92.00 @ IJK)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB Windforce OC Video Card ($179.00 @ Shopping Express)
Case: Fractal Design - Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($139.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($85.00 @ Shopping Express)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($128.00 @ Shopping Express)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link - TL-WN881ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter ($18.00 @ Shopping Express)
Total: $1386.01
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-21 18:21 AEST+1000

^ it is but I'm a blatant case quality whore

Happy to use cheap cases for other people generally when they're more interested in aesthetics over quality but never for myself

.8mm thick steel, sound dampening foam & some of the quietest 140mm fans around puts the fractals high on my list.
You know where I'm coming from with this because the dark base pro's are clearly your favourite case choices?

Don't get me wrong , I have a ryzen 1700 CPU myself , great CPU, great pricepoint 'compared to Intel'
The issue is it costs 50% more than the 1600 for 25% more cpu & its not competitive with amd's own lesser CPU.

I didn't pay close to that much more which is why I own one & I can honestly say I very very much doubt I'll ever make full use of the 1700, outside of benching its damn near impossible.

The 1600 would have done me fine & I don't see any use the op has that it won't do the same

The extra cache and beefier cooler help too, and given it fits the price range it's a no brainer, not worth it to spend that cash on a better case instead imo. You're spending the same amount of money, so why not get a better CPU?
After being on this forum for a while i've come to understand that when on a budget; performance is king.
You get your first flashy system and then the hype dies down, and you just want a lower profile, cleaner thing that runs like a behemoth.

The extra cache and beefier cooler help too, and given it fits the price range it's a no brainer, not worth it to spend that cash on a better case instead imo. You're spending the same amount of money, so why not get a better CPU?
After being on this forum for a while i've come to understand that when on a budget; performance is king.
You get your first flashy system and then the hype dies down, and you just want a lower profile, cleaner thing that runs like a behemoth.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'd say it depends on the quantification of the software. There's plenty of productivity software that has different needs. If you run Autocad or streaming / recording video, then you'll be better off with Intel/nvidia. If using Sony Vegas, better off with Amd/Amd. For all I know about Matlab and visual studio, the could be core hungry monsters that show sizable gains with every added core, or they could also be 4core limited, so would benefit from the cheaper 1600's higher clock speeds vrs 4 wasted threads.