productkey

Hello,

I have a couple of Dell computers here: a SmartStep-1000 and a
Dimension 4100. They are both about 3 or 4 years old, both with
win98se on them. I've bought them new (purchased several months apart)
from Dell and have had them the entire time.

I just noticed that on both machines the win98se productkey as show in
the registry (system.dat) is completely different from the productkey
shown on the tag on the back of the machines. Has anyone else notice
this situation on their machines?

--
To reply to me directly, remove the XXX characters from my email address.

Yep, with every single Dell made.

The systems are built at the factory with a common image -- and therefore
have a generic product key.

The key on the sticker is for when you reinstall.

No big deal.

Tom
"Vic Dura" <vpdura@XXXhiwaay.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a couple of Dell computers here: a SmartStep-1000 and a
> Dimension 4100. They are both about 3 or 4 years old, both with
> win98se on them. I've bought them new (purchased several months apart)
> from Dell and have had them the entire time.
>
> I just noticed that on both machines the win98se productkey as show in
> the registry (system.dat) is completely different from the productkey
> shown on the tag on the back of the machines. Has anyone else notice
> this situation on their machines?
>
> --
> To reply to me directly, remove the XXX characters from my email address.

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 00:08:03 -0500, RE: Re: productkey "Tom Scales"
<tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

>Yep, with every single Dell made.
>
>The systems are built at the factory with a common image -- and therefore
>have a generic product key.
>
>The key on the sticker is for when you reinstall.
>
>No big deal.
>
>Tom

Thanks for the info Tom. Just curious here, would the product key from
the registry work during a reinstall? I don't have the need to do a
reinstall, so I can't try it.

Regards,
Vic Dura

>"Vic Dura" <vpdura@XXXhiwaay.net> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a couple of Dell computers here: a SmartStep-1000 and a
>> Dimension 4100. They are both about 3 or 4 years old, both with
>> win98se on them. I've bought them new (purchased several months apart)
>> from Dell and have had them the entire time.
>>
>> I just noticed that on both machines the win98se productkey as show in
>> the registry (system.dat) is completely different from the productkey
>> shown on the tag on the back of the machines. Has anyone else notice
>> this situation on their machines?
>>
>> --
>> To reply to me directly, remove the XXX characters from my email address.

--
To reply to me directly, remove the XXX characters from my email address.

Don't know. If you're reinstalling Dell's OEM XP, it won't even ask. It's
tied to the BIOS.