Professional opinions of good registry cleaners

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
At all the other forums where I've volunteered, they treat ALL registry cleaners, reputable or not, as poison, if used by non-techies. At the very least they're considered a waste of time, as they don't really speed things up. If using CCLeaner, many techies say to use all the features except the registry cleaner part.

I'd like to hear what other professionals here think. Don't even bother discussing the sleazy ones.

You may have seen me putting the case for the defence of CCleaner over at TSG, graywolf, where it came under attack. It's the only one I recommend but even then, I always stress the necessity to accept CCleaner's offer to back the Registry up before making any changes.

I may use CCleaner up to fifty times on any week on as many different systems which come my way with a variety of problems, and I've never lost a Registry to it yet. Actually, if I'm honest, I've never taken my own advice on backing up either but that's just laziness or confidence in CCleaner - or both :D

It's particularly useful when you're uinstalling a troublesome programme to put it straight back afterwards. CCleaner will remove the entries that might get in the way of a fresh installation and needless to say, a darned sight quicker than one could do it manually.

[/#000ff]

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
I'm aware of CCleaner's abilities. But Revo will remove all the registry entries right at the uninstall.

Let's presume that you always back up the reg, and that you using a reg cleaner that's reputable. I'm referring to the almost universal opinion on at least 8 forums and many tech help sites NOT to use registry cleaners at all, even the reputable ones, because:

a--it doesn't speed up the computer.

b--since many of the entries are cryptic (not the more obvious ones that have the app's name in them) you're almost sure to screw things up, having to restore the backup, and ergo just wasting your time.

Even in my computer club, the opinion of them has shifted down over the years.

I guess I was unaware there was such disdain for registry cleaners.

I recommend ccleaner all the time. I use it myself. I've never felt the need to backup my registry, as I have full confidence in it.

For systems that are in decent shape, it probably won't help speed it up. However, systems that are not well maintained will notice an improvement. It all depends in how bad of shape your registry is in.

When registries become garbled with broken paths, and fragments of old programs, you can end up with errors. One of the reasons for using a registry cleaner is to tidy up those traces and paths. Thus, getting rid of the errors.

The popularity of ccleaner is because of it's multipurpose features. Not only does it clean the registry well, it also can clean up application and system garbage. Like revo uninstaller, ccleaner also has the capability to uninstall programs.

It's not a miracle cure for computers. It's just a nice tool to help.

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Maybe not so much on this forum, aford, so I might be asking in the wrong place.

I've also been using RegHealer for years, which digs in more deeply than CCLeaner, but with all the controversy, I don't know if I'm actually doing damage. Originally it was recommended by an IT pro in my club; now about 5 years later, he doesn't recommend any of them. Before that I had used System Mechanic.

Problem with the reg is that a problem might not show up for months, and then you don't know what caused it.

An example: I had the weirdest problem with my Network Connections>Properties menu, but everything else was fine in the system. I posted it at a few favorite forums, and it even had the IT pros stymied. So I restored an image of C, hoping I had gone far enough back. Who knows if it was caused by one or more wrong fixes that I got from one of my reg cleaners? And how far back, since I don't use that menu often?

We all agree about removing old program entries, but how about cryptic ones, or composed of character strings?

I don't know if RegHealer or jv16PowerTools are still good. The bottom line is: Where can I get really thorough, unbiased software reviews, since the magazine sites take advertising?

I've used RegScrubXP for years in automatic mode it has never caused a problem, and in manual mode it is very efficient however you better know what you're doing if you go that route.

This program is great to run after uninstalling some application that has left fragments behind, I've used this version 3.2 for probably 3 1/2 yrs, I'm not familiar with any past registry cleaning negative Hoo Hah, I just know RegScrubXP works that is why I use it.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Registry-Tweak/RegScrubXP.shtml