Instead of clicking that profile button can we remove that and have the username of the poster clickable?

It was like that in "the old forum" < Most overused phrase recently :D

+ it would save bandwidth / look better!

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
A good percentage (dare I say 80%) of world forums run on phpbb technology, so IMHO people are well used to the interface, and expect to see profile button just where it is.

So would it not make sense to keep the button there to keep things "standard". The old forum was really not something a lot of people use, and the closer to a standard, the easier it is for newer users.

Ok, I see your point, but why do we have to be like every forum out there? We already have the default smilies, and images (new post etc)...

In the old forum it was done this way, and it looks better as we don't have the page cluttered with useless graphics.

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
If we remoe profile, then we have to underline the name, since most people (again coming from phpbb) do not know that it is hotlinked. What you think?

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I have to say, my vote is for mimicing the old forum as much as possible. On the one hand you have tons of users that made the forum what it was. On the other hand you have an unknown quantity of unknown persons. It seems rather obvious to me which would be wiser to orient towards, but then that's my opinion. **LOL**

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
yea the old forum was really a "feel like home" kinda feel... those colors, idn it just was a perfect combo..

this new color is like brand new and fresh and all window'y...lol alittle to much billgates for my taste.... maybe a Page theme or like a Page COLOR scheme of your own choice for your own selection.

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
The new forumz gui and colors will be changed in due time. We just have way too many things on our plate right now. At the same time, do bring these things up, so they get on the list of to-dos.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
yea i can't even imagine how much work gets put into this forum, but i will post things and bring up ideas and whenever you get to them you get to them..... the important thing is we are atleast back up and running.

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
Yes, that is the key thing... being back up and running... I need to keep you guys running, and that is my first goal.

One thing about gui from personal experience: fancy guis look nice, but I get tired using them after a while. The more bland, the more comfortable I am with it - long term :wink:

That is my personal experience. Mileage might vary :lol:

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
the profile thing isn't 2 bad, it's right next to other key buttons like the PM or the Email etc.. idn the profile thing is nice, most new forums are this way.

Exactly, why be like every other forum out there?

I think threads can look really bad if some one has filled out their entire profile, they have like 6-7 graphic buttons at the bottom of each post, and honestly, how often will they get used? not often - if at all.

If we hid it all behind in the profile, we're saving bandwidth, looking different, and de-cluttering.

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
Rob has got a lot of buttons. They really don't take space (as that horiz. space is unused), they don't take bandwidth (as graphics get cached by browser), and they are kind'a colorful. What is the problem?

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
It ain't broken. I need to work on a lot of things that need work. You can see my work plan via sticky. There are a ton of things to work on.