profiling boot up time?

peter

Most PC boots up very quickly when new, then slow down gradually. Is there a
way to figure out what software causes the slowness?

I see mention of a tool called bootvis. However, it seems microsoft is no
longer supporting it (no downloads). Is there a better tool available?

The 4 primary causes for slow bootup are (in no particular order):

1. Viruses and spyware,
2. Too many programs loading with Windows,
3. Lack of maintenance, and
4. Insufficient hardware.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Most PC boots up very quickly when new, then slow down gradually. Is there
> way to figure out what software causes the slowness?
>
> I see mention of a tool called bootvis. However, it seems microsoft is no
> longer supporting it (no downloads). Is there a better tool available?

Hi Peter,

Thanks Ted for useful suggestions. I just want to add something.

You may Use Clean Boot to eliminate third party interference Boot into
Clean Boot environment first. Steps are below.

1. Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in
the Open box, and then click OK.
2. In the Startup tab, click the "Disable All" button.
3. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox,
and then click the "Disable All" button.
4. Click OK and restart your computer.

310560: How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560

If your issue is resolved at this point, repeat the process, but add one
check back each time to the list of files listed under the "Selective
Startup" menu until the issue reappears again, when this happens follow
these steps:

1. Select the tab for the last file you enabled and remove the checks from
each line in that file.
2. Click the Apply button
3. Reboot your computer and verify the issue has not reappeared.
4. Replace each check mark one line at a time.
5. Click the Apply button.
6. Reboot your computer.

When the issue reappears you will then know which line or command is
causing the problem.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu