Program Files vs Program Files (x86)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamerBro10

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014
So I got a new SSD the other week and did a clean re install of Windows 8.1 64 bit. I installed various games, etc and just now I noticed that nearly everything I installed was to the Program Files (x86), the 32 bit folder, under my C drive. Now I know many of the programs I installed were 64-bit however they are located in the 32 bit Program Files. Does this matter at all? Will they still run normally as 64 bit applications instead of 32bit programs despite being in the 32 bit folder?

Solution
Uh, no. It doesn't matter what the install directory is. You can make a folder called Sheba-queen-of-the-universe if you want to. It will run just fine there too.

Yes, one folder is intended for 32 bit programs while the other is intended for 64, but nothing is hard coded to those folders. You can stick your program anywhere you like.

GamerBro10

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014

Yes I realize that but Program Files is meant for 64 bit programs while Program Files x86 is for 32 bit. My question is... will my 64 bit programs currently installed in the x86(32 bit) folder run differently than if they were installed in the regular 64bit Program Files?

will my 64 bit programs currently installed in the x86(32 bit) folder run differently than if they were installed in the regular 64bit Program Files? - yes. You shouldn't move Windows files around into different folders. That'll stop Windows working.

Uh, no. It doesn't matter what the install directory is. You can make a folder called Sheba-queen-of-the-universe if you want to. It will run just fine there too.

Yes, one folder is intended for 32 bit programs while the other is intended for 64, but nothing is hard coded to those folders. You can stick your program anywhere you like.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.