[SOLVED] program that finds duplicate folders?

kluchgts

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2013
I see a lot of duplicate file finders, but not any that looks at folder names. I need something that could match duplicate folder names at any tier of subfolder level

Solution
I would use the "Advanced" search of TotalCommander shareware.

You can do the steps :
- Commands
- Search
(you can use
Alt + F7) for this
You can search for a file or folder name, or for a string inside content of the file ; you can use wildcard characters, exclude some type of files, etc.
Here is an image of an older version :
total-commander-more-powerful-windows-search-window-screenshot.png

Search for recursive files :
ivtafmm.png

A step further : the second TAB in Search menu is Advanced ; you will have several time selection options, and also a possibility to...
D

Deleted member 14196

I wrote a multithreaded c# command line app that can Search for files or folders on any drive. Other than that I don’t know of anything commercially available

I use it at work whenever somebody moves folders on our shared drives and doesn’t remember where they drop files and folders. It is really fast at searching

But explain what you mean by duplicate like is it folders that contain the same files?

EmmaDobozi

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2013

You can do the steps :
- Commands
- Search
(you can use
Alt + F7) for this
You can search for a file or folder name, or for a string inside content of the file ; you can use wildcard characters, exclude some type of files, etc.

ivtafmm.png

A step further : the second TAB in Search menu is Advanced ; you will have several time selection options, and also a possibility to search name duplicates or based on same content or same size. You can filter by attributes. You can filter by choosing different criteria for size.

There is a possibility to do operations using command lines.
There are tutorials on the site ; the application has a help menu, but I think that after installing will be easy to figure out -- even I managed to do simple tasks !!

There is a board for discussions -- you might find more in-depth help from experts.

I am sure there are more other solutions.

Last edited:
Solution

kluchgts

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2013
I wrote a multithreaded c# command line app that can Search for files or folders on any drive. Other than that I don’t know of anything commercially available

I use it at work whenever somebody moves folders on our shared drives and doesn’t remember where they drop files and folders. It is really fast at searching

But explain what you mean by duplicate like is it folders that contain the same files?
Yes. Just a random example, if therre was c:\todd\finance\marketing 2018 and c:\ashley\sales\2018\marketing 2018. Both of those folders would have the exact same stuff, the 2 people just put it in a different structure.

kluchgts

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2013

You can do the steps :
- Commands
- Search
(you can use
Alt + F7) for this

ivtafmm.png

A step further : the second TAB in Search menu is Advanced ; you will have several time selection options, and also a possibility to search name duplicates or based on same content or same size. You can filter by attributes. You can filter by choosing different criteria for size.

There is a possibility to do operations using command lines.
There are tutorials on the site ; the application has a help menu, but I think that after installing will be easy to figure out -- even I managed to do simple tasks !!

There is a board for discussions -- you might find more in-depth help from experts.

I am sure there are more other solutions.
thank you, i will check this out later tonight to see if it's what i need

D

Deleted member 14196

Oh I just thought of this and I should’ve thought of it earlier use the application called everything download and install it it’s the fastest indexer and you can search for folders that way super fast

However in your example those are not duplicates right because they could’ve modified those files? Are you sure the contents of those folders are exactly the same?