Question Programmable router for sub-nodes, Interoperability tasking

Achmedsback

Reputable
Oct 29, 2016
Hello all,
I am looking for a wireless router to use for a project I have going on. I need to find a way to connect a local network on a robot to a wireless router while keeping the two separate, to an extent.
The local network connects camera's, computers, and various other devices to the main controller. I need to allow a wireless computer to connect and send specific information to the main controller through JAUS. I am planning on using a raspberry pi to decipher and filter the information that is needed. I just need a router that is rather inexpensive (doesn't need to be fast at all) and can be configured to set up two or three sub-networks.

My problem is that I don't really know what I'm looking for. Any help on keywords would be great. On a side note I was looking into OpenWrt and was wondering if anyone had experience with it.
Thanks for any help.

What you want is vlans and you can assign different SSID. Most third party firmware will allow this and you can put firewall rules between the vlans. This is not hard but because you do not even know what vlans are you have quite a bit of stuff you are going to have to learn. Third party firmware images are not really hold your hand type of things you have to dig around on the sites to find all the information you need.

Reactions: Achmedsback