Programming Desktop for Quick Calculations

Voates

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
I want to replace my HP Pavilion dv6 laptop (purchased in 2010) with a more current and powerful desktop. I prefer to buy, but willing to try and build my own computer if you think that would be a better route.

Approximate Purchase Date: asap

Budget Range: $1000-2000

System Usage from Most to Least Important:
1. Everyday use (Streaming video/music, Microsoft Office, casual online gaming, etc.)
2. Running a large number of simulations (i.e. running 1 billion rounds of poker) in a timely manner
3. General Programming (Creating mobile apps)
4. Unity Game Engine
5. Playing AAA games (This is not really a necessity, but since I want to run Unity Game Engine, I assume the needs for running AAA games will mostly be met already. Not looking for ultra high graphics, but an enjoyable playing experience with smooth framerate. Want to play Starcraft, Crusader Kings 2, Battlefield, etc.).

Parts Not Required: I have speakers

Parts Preferences: none

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: I don't know what this means

Monitor Resolution: Not sure

Additional Comments:
It seems like the more research I do, the more confused I get. I still do not know whether I need a gaming pc, workstation, business pc, etc. I do not understand whether I should get a i7 or i5 or even a Xeon processor. And I really have the faintest idea of whether I need SSD, water cooling, etc etc. I mean it all sounds nice, but I really don't know what I need.

Based on reading some articles in PCMag, I narrowed it down to Asus M70AD-US003S (~$1200) and Velocity Micro Edge Z55 (~$2000). And I am also seeing Lenovo ThinkStation P300 SFF which is a workstation. I never even realized a workstation was its own category. It seems impressive with its high PCMark 8 score, but why is the price so low? I hardly even know what that score means other than the brief reading I did on the PCMark website. There must be something more to determining the quality of a computer than reading the performance sections of the PCMag reviews.

Any advice on what I should do is greatly appreciated. Should I go with a computer I listed above or try and build my own? What I don't really get, is how a guy like me with limited hardware experience learned from college is supposed to put together a mid-range desktop that performs well. Shouldn't I be leaving this to someone more experienced?

Solution
It sounds like you aren't confident in building a PC, so perhaps you can find someone who will build it for you for a small fee (generally a 100-150 dollars or so). Xeon processors are only for servers generally so you won't be needing that, i5 and i7's are both great however if money isn't a issue then the i7 is a better choice.

As for the difference between gaming, workstation etc. In simple terms a gaming PC will have a good graphics card and the rest wont or they might focus a little more on the CPU or RAM. SSD's are also good items especially for installing your OS on it and primary programs for quicker load times. As for water cooling, it's not essential but is certainly a wise choice when it comes to overcloking.

You've asked...

Rayven2

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014
It sounds like you aren't confident in building a PC, so perhaps you can find someone who will build it for you for a small fee (generally a 100-150 dollars or so). Xeon processors are only for servers generally so you won't be needing that, i5 and i7's are both great however if money isn't a issue then the i7 is a better choice.

As for the difference between gaming, workstation etc. In simple terms a gaming PC will have a good graphics card and the rest wont or they might focus a little more on the CPU or RAM. SSD's are also good items especially for installing your OS on it and primary programs for quicker load times. As for water cooling, it's not essential but is certainly a wise choice when it comes to overcloking.

You've asked for a lot of topics to be covered but I hope you got a better understanding now. As for the actual desktop;

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H Black
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Gaming 4GB
Memory: Patriot 2x8GB DDR3-2133
Solid-State Drive: Crucial MX100 512GB
Hard Drive: Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM
Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 Silver
Power Supply: EVGA Supernova G2 850W
Optical Drive: Samsung 24x DVD Burner
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S

The total price should be under $2,000 if you buy online. However just a general idea of what you might be looking at for that price range. Hope that helps, if it did feel free to select a solution.

Solution