Programming PC and casual game build.

cpuconfuse

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
Hi guys , i am a newbie here and i want to ask which is better, an i5 or an i7 one i should pick?. I will go college soon and I will build a new PC because my old Core2 PC is broken. I will use it for a lot of working college stuff. Browsing, download and watch HD video, programming such as coding (C++, Pascal, etc), and web development for example : MySQL, PHP, etc. I will not use it for extreme games (CRYSIS 3, or Metro), but more likely moderate games (NFS Shift 2 medium settings in 1920x1080 resolution maybe this game is the most heavy, but the other will be like Sims 3, Sims City, Dota2, and Sleeping dogs low setting).
I wonder if i will not use any discrete video card and towards using HD graphics 4600, if it possible doing such things i've mentioned above especially for the games?.
Oh yeah i almost forgot to give my budget for the rig, it will be $1000 (for the i5)-$1100 (for the i7) approximately include LED 22"(not IPS),and Keyboard+mouse.
Please help me guys.
I was thinking for quite a while between these two CPUs that confuse me each time i read reviews about i5 that give anything you want for now, and the i7 that give you less benefit with its HT than the i5, but still the best and it will last for quite a while. is this true that i5 is the best choice due to its close performance to the i7?.
Oh i forgot to mention that i will also do much multitasking (Coding programs, Browser, Ms. Office (4 tasks or more when it comes the time i must do the final essay and presentation), AV scanning each day because my parents oblige that due to security reasons (this is surely pisses me of and because it use much the CPU's speed, and RAM), and those programs is always used together most of the times)
Finally, please give me some suggentions for the i7 and i5 build and which is the best suitable for me (college purpose).
I live in Indonesia and there is no microcenter market in my country so don't mention to buy parts at microcenter.
My english is sucks therefore please forgive me for the bad language.
I will more appreciate if you are not an i5 or i7 fanBOYz (i choose neutral side).

Solution
I would recommend a i7 . If you want a AMD build like A 10 it has intergraded graphicws that can run most games on medium settings http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/processors/a-series/Pages/a-series-pib.aspx. and only 140$. Or you can get a FX series cpu for more programmig and also around 200$ http://sites.amd.com/us/promo/products/Pages/amdfx.aspx

If u get i7 i would highly recommnd you to get a graphics card like Geforce GTX 650 which is around 100$

pigalol

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
I would recommend a i7 . If you want a AMD build like A 10 it has intergraded graphicws that can run most games on medium settings http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/processors/a-series/Pages/a-series-pib.aspx. and only 140$. Or you can get a FX series cpu for more programmig and also around 200$ http://sites.amd.com/us/promo/products/Pages/amdfx.aspx

If u get i7 i would highly recommnd you to get a graphics card like Geforce GTX 650 which is around 100$

Solution

cpuconfuse

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013

It will be an haswell CPU both i5 and i7. My friend told that AMD IGPU in richland is only 10% better than HD 4600, It doesnt matter as long as the game i mentioned above can run at 1920x1080 resolution with playable FPS (>=30).

why xeon? for 'programming' utter rubbish!

cpuconfuse

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013

hmmm ok i see, but i will do hard multitasking (6 or more tasks running together) and i hate if my computer slowed down because of it, so is i5 and 16 ram enough? i sure that an i7 can handle all aplication, and hardcore multitasking right now but if an i5 is ok then i will move to i5.

cpuconfuse

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013

Ok thanks for the answer before, both i5 and i7 are quad core CPU, but the main thing that differ the i7 is its hyperthreading (sorry if i was wrong cause i just newbie in hardware), but my friend use an i7 3770 (OCed with non K-OC feature from ASrock), asrock z77 pro3, with 8GB ram and i compared it to my cousin's which is an i5 4670k (overclocked to 4,6 ghz), MSI z87-g43 with 16gb ram, both had the same GPU engine that is GTX 760 jetstream. Magically the i7 rig beats the i5 in most of the benchmark result especially in heavy threaded apps and multitasking also superPI indicated the i7 is 4 seconds faster than i5. I wonder with that. I love both CPU and i still cannot choose which is the best suitable for me. i7 is $100 more than i5 is that really worth paying an extra for the performance difference? please help me i really confuse.

that is because benchmarks make use of the hyperthreading which not every application does, synthetic benchmarks are often not reflected in realworld situations.

if you were to compare them with non hyperthreading aware applications then the results would be more similar and a bit better with hyperthreading.

cpuconfuse

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013

I really doesn't understand how hyperthreading works because i just start learning about hardware in few past days not weeks or even month, but is it really not necessary for multitasking purpose? i mean for an i7 is it just a small improvement than its little brother(i5)? or it really made for heavy threaded apps just like multitasking purpose. For example : i use chrome as my browser and i always open more than 25 tabs for many purpose such as : browsing movies and musics, learn about hardware, and school/college stuff (this is counted as the most of all the tabs). I also run ms word, 1-3 coding programs, and web development such as (XAMPP, Java, etc). Does an i5 is sufficient to handle all of the apps?, actually i prefer i7 than i5 (don''t count me as a fanboy i just looking for best price/performance not else :D) but its too pricey and i don't know is it worth paying an extra for the performance difference?