[SOLVED] programs crashing constantly since ram change

Jul 26, 2022
hello, im unsure if this is the right place in the forum for this but i hope it is. im posting it here since i found no issues with the new RAM.

about a week i asked in this tom forum thread how to know which ram to buy, i bought a 2x16gb ram kit and installed it.
while switching the RAM sticks, i also gave the computer a bit of a quick clean with an air spray can.
i then went to the bios, and changed the speed thingy (sorry i dont remember what its called) from 3000mhz, which is what my old ram was, to 3200 mhz, which is my new ram.

ever since then, programs have been behaving in a weirdly fashion, i cant really describe it.
i genuinely feel like my computer is running slower.
and programs have been crashing, for example, opera gx, bluestacks, discord. some things stop working suddenly and without warning, like the internet just stopped working, and i had to restart, after i pressed restart, i got a BSOD.
sometimes a program will open and close then open and close and keep going like that till i shut it down with task manager.

i ran a RAM memory test ("windows memory diagnostic" tool) and found no faults in it.
i simply cant figure out what the problem is.

obviously im running windows 10, a legitimate copy. its fully updated, as far as i know all the drivers are updated as well.
the hardware
cpu: ryzen 5 3600
new ram: "32.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1599MHz (16-17-17-35)" i have taken this from speccy, its on 3200 mhz in the bios
motherboard: asus rog strix B450-F Gaming
gpu: nvidia geforce RTX 2060 Super 4GB vram
storage: SSD and HDDs
im completely at a loss here 😭

Solution
Version 4801 is the latest BIOS 22/03/2022. This "may" bring some stability improvements if you have an older BIOS. What version do you have ?
Setting XMP...should...find the most stable speed (you mentioned changing the speed thingy, so that is possibly what you were refering to).
You could turn off XMP for awhile to see is its more stable too.
Version 4801 is the latest BIOS 22/03/2022. This "may" bring some stability improvements if you have an older BIOS. What version do you have ?
Setting XMP...should...find the most stable speed (you mentioned changing the speed thingy, so that is possibly what you were refering to).
You could turn off XMP for awhile to see is its more stable too.

Reactions: googomag
Solution
Jul 26, 2022
thank you for the response. i updated the BIOS just a month ago. it should be on the newest, and i didnt notice any issues after the update.
i learnt about XMP/DOCP at that same time by a friend, i wasnt able to use XMP, i think because i use AMD cpu. but i was able to turn on DOCP. after the switch with the new ram, i COULDNT turn on DOCP/XMP.
edit 1: bios pictures i just took .
i have noticed that in one of the pictures, it says "DRAM CAS# Latency" "CHA: 16" "CHB: 16" then on selection it says "15".
i didnt change anything. should i change it to be 16 so it matches? could that be the problem? i barely know anything, so im worried about making changes.
edit 2: i just reverted the bios to defaults, then updated it. its now on 4801, again. i SWEAR i updated it!. i hope that somehow it fixes the problem
edit 3: i think that was the issue, outdated bios, and maybe the CAS thingy being on the wrong one. so i learnt something new, when switching hardware parts, it can cause bios to revert to older versions. good to know.
thank you very much, i never thought of looking at the bios version

Last edited:
Reactions: Nine Layer Nige