ToxicThing

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2015
Hey, so I need some help.

I am buying tomorrow MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GT OC from a guy. He says that he used it for casual gaming, work...

Warranty expired few days ago.

I wanted to hear your opinion on this GPU and should I buy it used. If so, please recommend me some programs to test the GPU before buying.

Thank you

Solution
Unless the card has been abused or has a material/manufacturing defect, it'll likely last 10+ years. For the most part, not many people buy lower-end GPUs like the 1050(Ti) to abuse the heck out of 'em, so the biggest risk on the used market at the low end may be getting a fake card.

Endre

Reputable
Hey, so I need some help.

I am buying tomorrow MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GT OC from a guy. He says that he used it for casual gaming, work...

Warranty expired few days ago.

I wanted to hear your opinion on this GPU and should I buy it used. If so, please recommend me some programs to test the GPU before buying.

Thank you

I also bought a used GTX 1050 Ti (Asus Cerberus).

I think that the more important thing is to see the card, and to test it in person.
See if the fans are spinning and if the image is OK.
Then, install GPU-Z and see if the specs displayed by the program are the advertised ones.

InvalidError

Titan
Unless the card has been abused or has a material/manufacturing defect, it'll likely last 10+ years. For the most part, not many people buy lower-end GPUs like the 1050(Ti) to abuse the heck out of 'em, so the biggest risk on the used market at the low end may be getting a fake card.

Solution
GPUs like GTX 1050 Ti usually are not abused. Often also never overclocked. If particular card works and is in good physical condition, then it will work for next 5-6 years without problems. From gaming point of view this card can support 6 years and older games at high graphic settings and newer ones on medium graphic settings with 5 years and newer CPUs. GTA V and Doom 2016 certainly will work up to 1080p resolution with playable FPS. G-Sync and FreeSync support is present over DisplayPort. So if you need a GPU for older system or spare GPU for new rig (because decent GPUs temporary are out of reach), GTX 1050 Ti is an option.

FYI: Just sold working Zotac GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB for 60€ to a guy who wanted to play a bunch of decade old games.