CJ

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

Hi:

I have Win XP Pro. As the administrator I have installed some games for my
childrens use. However, when they log on through their accounts, the games do
not run. They must use the games through my account. I can see the games on
their start menu but no go. Any ideas?

Limited accounts often have trouble running games. For now, all you can do
is to run them from an administrator account or start the game in the
limited account using "run as". Either way, your password is required.
Contact the game's author for assistance.
--
Ted Zieglar

"CJ" <CJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> I have Win XP Pro. As the administrator I have installed some games for my
> childrens use. However, when they log on through their accounts, the games
do
> not run. They must use the games through my account. I can see the games
on
> their start menu but no go. Any ideas?

martin

CJ wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I have Win XP Pro. As the administrator I have installed some games for my
> childrens use. However, when they log on through their accounts, the games do
> not run. They must use the games through my account. I can see the games on
> their start menu but no go. Any ideas?

Unfortunately its probably just poor coding from the game designers, not a
great deal you can do about it in most cases.
--
Best Wishes from Martin

So many questions, so few answers.

CJ

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

Lovely, thanks for the info, I thought I was doing something incorrectly.

So I guess the workaround would be to change their account to Admin, install
the program and then change the account back to Limited.

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 12:49:07 -0800, CJ wrote:

> Lovely, thanks for the info, I thought I was doing something incorrectly.
>
> So I guess the workaround would be to change their account to Admin, install
> the program and then change the account back to Limited.

Another thing that you might try is to install them to a folder outside of
Program Files. Program Files has some limitations that are good to have but
can block limited users from the use of programs that actively make changes
within these folders during operation. A folder outside of Program Files
should automatically have "Everyone" in its permissions and would not block
Limited users.

Example: Create a folder named Games and use it as the "home folder" for
all game installations. When installing the game, watch the screens
carefully. Eventually one will appear that allows you to choose where the
game will be installed (may need to run the "custom install" to see this
option). Then change the "C:\Program Files\" portion of the proposed path
to "C:\Games" so that you end up with something like this:
C:\Games\newgame\

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User