Question Programs not running on start up?

soratoyuki

Reputable
Dec 18, 2016
Phanteks P500A, 9700k, 2070, 16GB RAM, Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi, multiple SSDs (2.5' and m.2)

I changed cases (and no other hardware initially) about 7 months ago. Since then, I've been totally happy with my computer, but I've had a host of mostly minor annoyances that I want to include just in case they're all related somehow. I had an SSD somehow not survive the case swap (not my Windows 10 boot SSD though), I've had issues overclocking (even the mildest overclocks will stop my PC from even posting for some reason, except in the odd case where it does post and run only for me to realize my BIOS decided to revert to an earlier firmware and not save my settings???) and more possibly related, my PC will fail to boot maybe one out of every 20 or so attempts. About once every 20 times I start my PC, it'll just hang on the motherboard logo. I have to restart it, but then my PC boots up noticeably slower and boots into... a slightly different Windows environment (?), where it's very slow for the first minute or so, and most of my startup programs fail to start (Steam, Discord, qBitorrent, etc.). This actually happens every time I restart my computer, so installing Windows Updates are a pain.

The last issue lead me to decide to try turning off Fast Startup last night to see if that would have any impact, and this morning was my first time starting up without it. Same issue as before, but now it's constant. I guess Fast Startup was the bandaid and not the injury lol. Boots into Windows fine, but it's again just slightly different. My notification tray has weather/news settings which I've never seen before in my life, and still most of my startup programs didn't actually launch. If I check Task Manager, they're even listed in the Startup tab as enabled. They just... aren't running. I'm completely baffled.