Programs not using enough bandwidth

jaredj142

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
For some reason, all of my games along with discord are only pulling a maximum of 0.1 megabits per second, which obviously isnt enough for PUBG. It's been this way all morning, and according to my friends in discord, it sounds like I'm speaking through a calculator. Whenever I use my browser or download something through steam, it uses my full bandwidth, which is 1.5 megabits. Also, there are no other devices on my network so I should be getting full bandwidth. (I checked in my router's status page). It has never done this before. It's like the program's aren't requesting enough bandwidth.

Discord only needs like .1 Megabits.
Steam actually displays MegaBytes. (1 byte = 8 bits)
Even games don't really "use" much bandwidth unless they're downloading files.

A speedtest like www.speedtest.net will show what your max MegaBits are currently. You'll have to compare that with what you pay your ISP for to see if it's correct.

jaredj142

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014

I'm using the task manager to display network activity, so its showing in megabits not megabytes, and when you have a lot of people posting images to the multiple chats in discord, you're going to need a little bit more than .1 megabits to be able to talk and hear other people.
I need more than .1 megabits to play pubg or else its just a rubberband fest.
In csgo, when my pc does this my jumps to 1100 or more.
And yes I know that steam displays in kilobytes and megabytes. I downloads at about 185-190 kilobytes per second, which by the way is about 1.5 megabits, exactly what im paying for.
Also, it randomly fixed itself after a few days. I was hoping for a solution so that I could fix it in the future (because its happened before), not just someone telling me im wrong and throwing a speedtest link at me.

Well, your problem seems to be your bandwidth you're paying for is way to low actually. That's far below what's needed for someone who does lots of things on the internet.
I hope you're not actually paying any money for that, because that's the speed you'd get for free from the government.
You need a better internet plan.

jaredj142

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014

I logged back into this thread because my computer is doing this again, hopefully to find an actual answer, but once again, you've got nothing. I want to figure out why Battlegrounds is only using .1 megabits instead of the available 3, which is causing rubber. What I didn't want to hear was "hurr durr ur internet slow". Btw, the same thing happens on my 4g hotspot with a download speed of 50 and an upload of 20. If you don't know about the the topic then why even answer?