[SOLVED] Programs take longer to start the longer the PC is on

Cat92

Reputable
Nov 27, 2019
I've had this issue for about a year and a half now, but haven't tried to seriously troubleshoot it.

The longer my computer is on, the longer it takes to open things. It also starts having problems with certain programs - I can't use certain external add-ons with games (nothing shady like cheats or anything) because the game starts lagging out after a while (really bad intermittent freezing). I've done plenty of anti-virus scans, adwcleaner and mwbyte scans, CCleaner cleans, and the issue persists.

Does anyone know what could cause this? Is my ssd just likely failing? It's only about 4 years old, if not less. I'm thinking of replacing it, but don't know if it could be some sort of software issue instead.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

Solution
I've had this issue for about a year and a half now, but haven't tried to seriously troubleshoot it.

The longer my computer is on, the longer it takes to open things. It also starts having problems with certain programs - I can't use certain external add-ons with games (nothing shady like cheats or anything) because the game starts lagging out after a while (really bad intermittent freezing). I've done plenty of anti-virus scans, adwcleaner and mwbyte scans, CCleaner cleans, and the issue persists.

Does anyone know what could cause this? Is my ssd just likely failing? It's only about 4 years old, if not less. I'm thinking of replacing it, but don't know if it could be some sort of software issue instead.

Thanks for any advice in...

kanewolf

Titan

Thanks for any advice in advance!
First guess -- since you didn't provide any specs for your PC, is the the RAM is fully utilized and you are having to use the pagefile.

Solution

English68

Prominent
Jun 3, 2020
See how much RAM you are using.
Press Winodws Key and type " Task Manager ", Click Performance Tab, then select "Memory".
There you will see "In Use" and "Available"

Cat92

Reputable
Nov 27, 2019
My RAM hasn't been maxing out (5-7gb available even with Chrome and a game open), but my boyfriend did notice yesterday that the RAM speed was way below what the sticks are capable of (speed was 2133ghz while the RAM is 3000ghz-capable and mobo can go up to 3200ghz).

We did some trial and error until we figured out how to set it to XMP, and its at 3000ghz now. The issue might be fixed now - going to do more testing after work to see if I can recreate the lag I've had. Gyazo was still opening in about 10s as of this morning, without a recent PC restart, so that's promising.

For reference (and in case it's not fixed or this couldn't have fixed it):
Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero wifi-AC
CPU: Intel i7-8700k
GPU: MSI 1070 ti
RAM: G.skill 16gb RAM
Samsung Evo 500gb SSD and Western Digital 1tb HDD

Cat92

Reputable
Nov 27, 2019
Okay, not fixed. It just takes longer to reach the same point of delay.

And I totally forgot that I've noticed that the WMI provider host process gets really high on cpu usage after its been on for a while (like my cpu usage will spike up to 80% or above when opening something or launching a game. I've had it hit 100% when it gets especially bad). Could all of this be the cpu, and if so is there a way to fix it?

This is why I had initially thought some software was causing the delay, but ive uninstalled a lot of unnecessary software - there's not much on there other than games at this point.

Cat92

Reputable
Nov 27, 2019
I suspect that Gyazo may be the issue.
<Mod Edit>

Thanks for the suggestion. I uninstalled it yesterday, just waiting to see if the issue is still there.

Could Malwarebytes also be a culprit? I keep it mainly for Adwcleaner, but I know it usually keeps itself running in the background when not in use.