Programs to view disk space utilization

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

I have lost track of "which" files are taking up "how much" space on my
home computers. I found a program today called Disk Space manager that
seems to do what I want to do, which is to scan the disks and then
publish the results in graphic chart form as well as lists of
file/folder size. It does take a little while to do the scans, however.

I would be interested in knowing what other programs people are using
for this purpose and whether or not you are happy with the programs.

Thanks
Ken K

Ken <ken@comcast.net> wrote

> I have lost track of "which" files are taking up "how much" space on
> my home computers. I found a program today called Disk Space manager
> that seems to do what I want to do, which is to scan the disks and
> then publish the results in graphic chart form as well as lists of
> file/folder size. It does take a little while to do the scans, however.

There isnt much alternative on that.

> I would be interested in knowing what other programs people are using for this
> purpose

I dont bother anymore. Drives are so cheap that when there is
even a hint of things getting a bit tight, I buy a new bigger one.

> and whether or not you are happy with the programs.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

In article <3l5a91F115sn0U1@individual.net>, rod_speed@yahoo.com says...
> Ken <ken@comcast.net> wrote
>
> > I have lost track of "which" files are taking up "how much" space on
> > my home computers. I found a program today called Disk Space manager
> > that seems to do what I want to do, which is to scan the disks and
> > then publish the results in graphic chart form as well as lists of
> > file/folder size. It does take a little while to do the scans, however.
>
> There isnt much alternative on that.
>
> > I would be interested in knowing what other programs people are using for this
> > purpose
>
> I dont bother anymore. Drives are so cheap that when there is
> even a hint of things getting a bit tight, I buy a new bigger one.
>
> > and whether or not you are happy with the programs.

http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/index.shtml

Works good!

Dave

Dave <ds@es.org> wrote
> Rod Speed rod_speed@yahoo.com wrote
>> Ken <ken@comcast.net> wrote

>>> I have lost track of "which" files are taking up "how much"
>>> space on my home computers. I found a program today
>>> called Disk Space manager that seems to do what I want
>>> to do, which is to scan the disks and then publish the
>>> results in graphic chart form as well as lists of file/folder
>>> size. It does take a little while to do the scans, however.

>> There isnt much alternative on that.

>>> I would be interested in knowing what other
>>> programs people are using for this purpose

>> I dont bother anymore. Drives are so cheap that when there is
>> even a hint of things getting a bit tight, I buy a new bigger one.

>>> and whether or not you are happy with the programs.

> http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/index.shtml

> Works good!

Yeah, that's what I used to use when I still bothered. Very decent.

Rod Speed wrote:

> Drives are so cheap that when there is
> even a hint of things getting a bit tight, I buy a new bigger one.

Hmmm, didn't think anything was cheap in Oz, by the time Fraser and
Keating got through with you people :)

Rod Speed wrote:
> bxf <bill@topman.net> wrote
> > Rod Speed wrote:
>
> >> Drives are so cheap that when there is even a hint
> >> of things getting a bit tight, I buy a new bigger one.
>
> > Hmmm, didn't think anything was cheap in Oz, by the
> > time Fraser and Keating got through with you people :)
>
> We gave them both the bums rush a long time ago now.
>
> Hard drives are as cheap as chips.

Yeah, problem was you kept them around too long. I went to OZ in 1979
and heard Malcolm telling everybody that "life wasn't meant to be
easy". He then promptly proceeded to make sure it wasn't.

Rod Speed wrote:
> bxf <bill@topman.net> wrote
> > Rod Speed wrote
> >> bxf <bill@topman.net> wrote

> >> We gave them both the bums rush a long time ago now.
>
> >> Hard drives are as cheap as chips.
>
> > Yeah, problem was you kept them around too long.
>
> Yeah, particularly with Keating.
>
> > I went to OZ in 1979 and heard Malcolm telling
> > everybody that "life wasn't meant to be easy".
>
> And most of the lurkers wont realise
> that this was a millionaire saying that.

So, what's a few million more or less? We're all equal, no?

> > He then promptly proceeded to make sure it wasn't.
>
> That wasnt so much his policys tho, more just his terminal stupidity.
>
> That fool still maintains that his greatest achievement was the terminally
> stupid middle class welfare payment for kids, paid to the mothers.
> Thats got much worse more recently, just plain barking mad.

I don't really know what this is. I know that there are many countries
that give money to the mother, in accordance with the number of
children (and their ages) in the household. I think this type of
payment is generally cut back when the government wants to reduce
population growth, and I am aware of people who have more children just
because they will now get more money from the government. What a great
reason for having kids!

> But the economy does fine regardless.

I suppose. Though I've long developed the philosophy that when the
government says something is good for the economy, it is surely going
to be not-so-good for me. Just seems to work that way.

bxf <bill@topman.net> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote:

>> Drives are so cheap that when there is even a hint
>> of things getting a bit tight, I buy a new bigger one.

> Hmmm, didn't think anything was cheap in Oz, by the
> time Fraser and Keating got through with you people :)

We gave them both the bums rush a long time ago now.

Hard drives are as cheap as chips.

bxf <bill@topman.net> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> bxf <bill@topman.net> wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Hmmm, didn't think anything was cheap in Oz, by the
>>> time Fraser and Keating got through with you people :)

>> We gave them both the bums rush a long time ago now.

>> Hard drives are as cheap as chips.

> Yeah, problem was you kept them around too long.

Yeah, particularly with Keating.

> I went to OZ in 1979 and heard Malcolm telling
> everybody that "life wasn't meant to be easy".

And most of the lurkers wont realise
that this was a millionaire saying that.

> He then promptly proceeded to make sure it wasn't.

That wasnt so much his policys tho, more just his terminal stupidity.

That fool still maintains that his greatest achievement was the terminally
stupid middle class welfare payment for kids, paid to the mothers.
Thats got much worse more recently, just plain barking mad.

But the economy does fine regardless.

bxf <bill@topman.net> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> bxf <bill@topman.net> wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Yeah, problem was you kept them around too long.

>> Yeah, particularly with Keating.

>>> I went to OZ in 1979 and heard Malcolm telling
>>> everybody that "life wasn't meant to be easy".

>> And most of the lurkers wont realise
>> that this was a millionaire saying that.

> So, what's a few million more or less? We're all equal, no?

Not according to him.

>>> He then promptly proceeded to make sure it wasn't.

>> That wasnt so much his policys tho, more just his terminal stupidity.

>> That fool still maintains that his greatest achievement was the
>> terminally stupid middle class welfare payment for kids, paid to the
>> mothers. Thats got much worse more recently, just plain barking mad.

> I don't really know what this is. I know that there are many
> countries that give money to the mother, in accordance with
> the number of children (and their ages) in the household.

Yes, but there arent many first world countrys that pay it regardless
of the economic circumstances. Absolutely classic stupid middle class
welfare where its collected from the taxpayers, pumped thru the system,
and straight back to those it was collected from in the first place.

Barking mad.

> I think this type of payment is generally cut back when
> the government wants to reduce population growth,

Ours, like quite a few first world countrys, wants to increase that.

Essentially because if you dont watch out, you can end up with a big
drop in taxpayers in future, and each one is supporting too many no
longer in the workforce etc, with high end of life medical costs etc.

> and I am aware of people who have more children just
> because they will now get more money from the government.

Yeah, we get quite a bit of that. You can see what is driving them
that way too when you end up with a higher nett income with say 5
kids than you can get with a low end job, say running a checkout etc.

You essentially 'work' for yourself, do what you like
hours wise, and the state looks after the brats for a
large chunk of the day once they are of school age too.

> What a great reason for having kids!

Indeed. And those bludgers normally produce generation
after generation of bludgers operating the same way.

>> But the economy does fine regardless.

> I suppose. Though I've long developed the philosophy that when
> the government says something is good for the economy, it is surely
> going to be not-so-good for me. Just seems to work that way.

The modern reality is that first world govts have almost no
effect on the basics of the economy, whatever they claim.

In article <S-mdnbjKufzj-nDfRVn-pw@comcast.com>, ken@comcast.net says...
> I have lost track of "which" files are taking up "how much" space on my
> home computers. I found a program today called Disk Space manager that
> seems to do what I want to do, which is to scan the disks and then
> publish the results in graphic chart form as well as lists of
> file/folder size. It does take a little while to do the scans, however.
>
> I would be interested in knowing what other programs people are using
> for this purpose and whether or not you are happy with the programs.

Hi,

WinDirStat

http://windirstat.sourceforge.net/

SpaceMonger

http://www.werkema.com/software/spacemonger.html

--
ICQ# 114297372

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Paul Atreides wrote:
> In article <S-mdnbjKufzj-nDfRVn-pw@comcast.com>, ken@comcast.net says...
>
>>I have lost track of "which" files are taking up "how much" space on my
>>home computers. I found a program today called Disk Space manager that
>>seems to do what I want to do, which is to scan the disks and then
>>publish the results in graphic chart form as well as lists of
>>file/folder size. It does take a little while to do the scans, however.
>>
>>I would be interested in knowing what other programs people are using
>>for this purpose and whether or not you are happy with the programs.
>

> Hi,
>
> WinDirStat
>
> http://windirstat.sourceforge.net/
>
> SpaceMonger