[SOLVED] Programs won't run after adding a SSD to my Lenovo IDEAPAD 320, how to fix it?

Sep 1, 2019
I followed a tutorial online on how to clone my original HD to a SSD, after the process the laptop begin to initialize and run at incredible speeds, needless to say I was very satisfied, but then there is this single problem (that affects a number of programs).

The problem: When you run a program, for example Corel X7, you get the following message

"Windows couldn't find (Path of the executable). Verify if the name is correct and try again"

I "solved" a number of these problems simply by renaming the .exe file, and changing it back to the original name afterwards, but I know that this isn't the correct solution, and it doesn't seem to work on corel.

Even uninstalling and reinstalling don't seem to work. What could / should I do to solve this once and for all?

Solution
The exe itself may be looking for a resource that lives elsewhere.
This is one of the hazards of splitting your OS and Programs on different drives.

When an application is installed, many many things are created in multiple places.
Foremost, entries in the Registry that point to specific locations. What was previously D is now E (or whatever)

Since you've already wiped the original C drive, I'm unsure of an easy 'fix' for this.
Sep 1, 2019
Hello rgd1101,

My Lenovo now has the following storage configuration:
C drive: SSD for programs and windows
D drive: SSD backup for drivers and more serious work stuff
E drive: HD storage of all the rest, music, video, programs that don't need the speed provided by the SSD

Sep 1, 2019
I purchased a SSD Sandisk, installed the hardware on my lenovo, then cloned my entire original HD to the SSD, this has cloned:
- The Windows 10 OS
- Most of my programs

Then after the process I deleted the original files on the original HD, now the HD has only some programs and my files (songs, docs and videos)

Sep 1, 2019
The D and E drive didn't exist before the SSD installation, so yes I only cloned the original C drive (now E) to the newly installed SSD.

The programs that this problem occurs are on the C drive (SSD)

Sep 1, 2019
Yes USAFRet, previously I had C (programs) and D (Backup)(Original HD that came with the Laptop)

Now the original HD has become my "E" drive, only used for storage

And the C and D are now on the SSD that I bought and installed by myself,

Now for the problem, I understand that the program is looking for something where it isn't, but even after reinstalling the program the problem still there, I'm not very bright when it comes to IT but see if you understand.

How I done the transfer from HD to SSD
- Before the change all worked fine;
- I've installed the SSD and made an entire copy of my original C to the SSD;
- There is no trace of the previous "C" in my original HD, since I completely wiped it after testing the SSD;
- If I remove my HD (E:) my laptop still runs normally, being so I can say that my SSD is working fine;

Now for the catch, that gives me a headache
- If I uninstall a program, and then reinstall it in my SSD C:, it should solve the problem, after all a new clean installation of a program should "know" where to find it's files, this is what I don't undestand.

I'm really sorry for bothering you both, but I think (Just an opinion from someone who sucks at computers) that it could be some System variable that I don't know, like some OS file that is saying to windows "this file should be here, and not there", maybe there's a way to edit that file so that it points to the new SSD

What I think the worse part is, is that the error message "Windows couldn't find the file in the specified (PATH)", if I follow the path myself in the explorer the .exe file is right there.

USAFRet

Titan
The exe itself may be looking for a resource that lives elsewhere.
This is one of the hazards of splitting your OS and Programs on different drives.

When an application is installed, many many things are created in multiple places.
Foremost, entries in the Registry that point to specific locations. What was previously D is now E (or whatever)

Since you've already wiped the original C drive, I'm unsure of an easy 'fix' for this.

Reactions: g7lima93
Solution
Sep 1, 2019
Look how crazy this s### is, I've gone to the folder where the .exe of the program is, made a copy of the .exe and pasted in the same folder, so that it became "programname - copy.exe", now the program runs through the copy.

Like I said, I know this ain't a fix for my problem, that will continue to occur with other programs, but it solves my problem for now, if any of you happens to know what is happening I'm very thankful for the help.

Again sorry if I bothered any of you, but I'm pretty damn dumb with computers