Project Cars 2 Low FPS

draik161

Honorable
Apr 28, 2014
Hi, I recently picked up a VR headset and though it runs smooth in other games, it seems that it runs really bad in Project Cars 2. My FPS according to the Oculus Tray Tool states im getting about a solid 30 FPS while in race. I do think it is my computer because I followed a setup guide here on the forums and used 1.2 for supersampling. What does everyone recommend I upgrade or are their some other settings I should change? Specs below

i5-6500 at 3.2 GHz
8 GB RAM DDR4 2133
Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 w/ 2GB VRAM
500 GB HD (Should I be running this game off an SSD?)
2 Fans (Water cooling make a difference?)

Thanks!

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Your GPU looks quite week for VR especially with only 2Gb VRAM. Upgrade that component first. In addition you might want to try upgrading your main RAM to 12 or even 16 Gb. What is your budget and I'll try and advise?

guymarshall

Honorable
Jan 25, 2015
Hi, I recently picked up a VR headset and though it runs smooth in other games, it seems that it runs really bad in Project Cars 2. My FPS according to the Oculus Tray Tool states im getting about a solid 30 FPS while in race. I do think it is my computer because I followed a setup guide here on the forums and used 1.2 for supersampling. What does everyone recommend I upgrade or are their some other settings I should change? Specs below

i5-6500 at 3.2 GHz
8 GB RAM DDR4 2133
Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 w/ 2GB VRAM
500 GB HD (Should I be running this game off an SSD?)
2 Fans (Water cooling make a difference?)

Thanks!

Hi draik161,

I agree with Kkkk1 that the graphics card is really holding the gaming experience back. I have a GTX 970 and even when it is overclocked to 1450 MHz it still struggles a lot in VR. As for RAM, 4GB and below is where issues occur. I recommend 16GB of RAM as it allows you to also have other things running in the background like Spotify or recording software, and gives you future-proofing if you want to do more with your PC in the future. Anymore than that and the extra RAM is being wasted.

Your CPU is a very capable processor and is excellent for gaming, but it's the graphics card that is holding back the performance.

As for storage it is fine to play games off a hard disk drive as it will only slightly affect large open-world games like Minecraft or Arma 3. Even this effect will be very small, and it is significantly cheaper than a solid-state drive.

Water-cooling would add additional cost and the processor is adequate for your use-case scenario. What CPU cooler do you have? It is possible that the CPU is throttling but it is less likely than the GPU bottleneck mentioned above.

Finally, have you made sure that you have plugged in your HDMI/DisplayPort cable directly into your graphics card's port instead of the motherboard? You could be missing out on performance by using an integrated graphics chip instead of your graphics card.

What resolution are you playing at? Anything above 1440p and your current graphics card and even the 970 will struggle significantly.

Regards