Project Glass May Have Indirect Bone Conduction Speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]sounds very neat but im not sure if that will have any health side effect.[/citation]

Well, every time you speak, your skull vibrates a little bit. That's why people usually don't recognize their own voice if it was played on a record, because the skull vibration from the talking affects the auditory system.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Well, every time you speak, your skull vibrates a little bit. That's why people usually don't recognize their own voice if it was played on a record, because the skull vibration from the talking affects the auditory system.[/citation]

that is true, but the intensity varies. I wonder if it influences your nerves to act funny after a while. I mean, right now, not many people use such devices, but who knows what it could do to you health wise. But then again, using your keyboard and mouse for long duration will have health issues as well.

acktionhank

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]sounds very neat but im not sure if that will have any health side effect.[/citation]

Take a peice of straw (as in hay) and clench it tightly between your teeth. Then align the other end of that same blade of straw onto a record player. You will "hear" the music, in your head, It's quite a neat trick.

I believe it's the same concept.

scythe944

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
No health side effects, just sounds a bit different. I am tone deaf, have been since I was 5 due to a bike accident and a recent visit to a audiologist suggested to use a device like the one google might be putting into their headset to test how well I'd be able to hear if I had an implant. It actually allowed me to hear with my good ear covered up with my hand, which is something I haven't been able to do in over 20 years. It kinda sounded like I was in a tunnel, but I could hear!

They make implants that do the same thing, only they're mounted into your skull. Obviously, I wasn't too keen on that and since I still have one good ear I skipped out but the concept is the same.

Basically, your ear hears in two ways: Sound pressure waves and bone vibrations. If the hairs inside your inner ear don't work, you could use the bone part of your hearing instead.

I think it's pretty cool stuff and might even allow me to listen to music with two ears again. Liking this device more and more...

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
[citation][nom]scythe944[/nom]No health side effects, just sounds a bit different. I am tone deaf, have been since I was 5 due to a bike accident and a recent visit to a audiologist suggested to use a device like the one google might be putting into their headset to test how well I'd be able to hear if I had an implant.They make implants that do the same thing, only they're mounted into your skull. Obviously, I wasn't too keen on that and since I still have one good ear I skipped out but the concept is the same.Basically, your ear hears in two ways, sound pressure waves and bone vibrations. If the hairs inside your inner ear stop working, you could use the bone part of your hearing instead.I think it's pretty cool stuff and might even allow me to listen to music with two ears again. Liking this device more and more...[/citation]

thanks for sharing. To be honest, I didnt know they had such "headphones". Ive seen the speakers before where you can mount them to any surface and they use the vibrations of the surface to generate the sound.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

If we listened to more people like you, no tech advance can ever be made.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
My dad used "bonephones" (Bone Conduction Headsets) for decades in the Navy. I assure you he hears just fine now, although he's getting to be a little loony with his old age.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]that is true, but the intensity varies. I wonder if it influences your nerves to act funny after a while. I mean, right now, not many people use such devices, but who knows what it could do to you health wise. But then again, using your keyboard and mouse for long duration will have health issues as well.[/citation]

Actually, lots of people use devices like this. In cases of extreme hearing loss, doctors will sometimes embed a stainless bolt directly into the skull behind the ear. A hearing aid is then fitted to the ear, and passes it's output into the bolt via vibratory conduction.

And as was mentioned above, the Navy has been using bonephones for quite some time.

royale606

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
I imagine vibrating the glasses would use much more battery than vibrating tiny cones in speakers, right?

Though they'd be much more appealing to me if I didn't need to jam earbuds into my ears. I always use over the head headphones because I hate jamming things in my ear..

Kudos, once again Google!
(So long as battery life is reasonable)

Bone-conduction headphones have been on the market for swimmers for quite a while. They conduct sounds through your cheekbones. They work great under water and allow you to listen to music while swimming laps. I'm wondering how Google's tech is really that different?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS