Project Morpheus Vs. Oculus Rift Development Kit 2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HiTekMuppet

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
Since neither will have a finished consumer product until 2015, it's too early to tell how VR gaming will turn out. Both are fantastic products. I'm glad neither company rushes products to the market. If Microsoft joins the party, however, things will be different.I think Sony, or more likely, a third party, will release PC drivers for morpheus, useful for people with both platforms.Price remains the biggest obstacle.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
So closed design available only on the PS4 or a more open design with a freely available SDK for PC and mobiles?No comparsion here as far as I'm concerned, also being stuck to the PS4 kind of sucks, if you look at it from a performance standpoint you need a system capable of providing at least 60fps constantly. Everything with these headsets is amplified, resolution is more important, latency is more important, refresh rates, pixel lag, all of this is critical because your eye is right there effectively looking at the LCD with a magnifying glass. I've been working with the original rift for a while now, and unless you want consumers quitting 5 minutes into a game due to motion sickness head tracking needs to be spot on, latency needs to be near zero, frame rates need to be unnoticeable (fast), you fail on any of these aspects and the brain screams "get me out of here".I'm not convinced the PS4 has the power to run next gen games at a good frame for rate for VR specific applications.

Ikrowni

Reputable
Mar 23, 2014
So was this demo for the morpheus done on an actual ps4, or just more smoke and mirrors done on a Beefy pc? I have a good feeling we all already know the answer to that. Because as it stands 1080p at 30fps is not adequate enough for good VR. So since the ps4 struggles with 1080p on a single non stereoscopic display and the games are having rough times even getting up to 60fps and the ps4 only renders a 45° fov. What are the odds the hardware can push stereoscopic 1080p over 60fps with a 90° fov having to render roughly double the onscreen action?

Pixel Junkie

Reputable
Feb 19, 2014
I guarantee you the consumer rift will support 2560x1440p @ 90hz. People complaining their graphics cards won't handle it, the rift will just upscale your 1080p if necessary. Believe me adding higher resolution and pixel density to a VR device is ONLY a good thing. PS4's limitations on resolution and framerate pretty much guarantee's compared to the Rift, Morpheus will be a second rate experience - albeit still amazing though.

Puiucs

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014

you can't guarantee anything. they need to hit a sweet spot with their price and right now they had to increase the price to 350$ from 300$ just to cover the better screen and camera. AMOLED screens get very pricy when you up the resolution. Are 2560x1440p @ 90hz even manufactured yet?
they can create the ultimate VR product, but what good is it if only a handful can buy it. they need to first create a market and only then they can start to focus on diversifying their offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.