Projector and monitor simultaneously?

kevinlikestv

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Greetings!

I have a fairly highpowered computer (2.4ghz/3gbRAM/1.5tbSTG/512mbVideo, MSVista) which I use as both a family PC and home theatre component. It has SVGA, DVI, HDMI, Component & Composite outs. (single video card & TV tuner). I would like to be able to have it put out video to my DVI monitor and my 1080p projector at the same time (or rather, one or the other without having to rewire every time I want to switch which one I want to view on).

My problem is that if I have the monitor connected DVI (only option) and my projector connected HDMI, only one will get a signal. Is this as simple as "you can't do that with one video adapter"? Although it has multiple outputs, I believe it is only single monitor capability. Would an HDMI splitter of some kind work? Adding to my struggles, both the monitor (DVI) and the projector (HDMI) are running over 25 foot cables (rated for the long distance), and any kind of signal interruption (turning the monitor off and back on again, switch user) results 99% of the time in the monitor signal not coming back (the only thing that works is a restart or a standby/wakeup.

The performance of the video is great, and it looks just fine on the big screen, watching DVDs, browsing the net, internet video (hulu/whathaveyou), programs recorded with mediacenter and home videos. But I would love to use my computer on my big fat eight foot wide motorized ceiling recessed turbo charged screen!

Thanks for any help!

Regards,
Kevin

Wolfshadw

Titan
Might help if you told us what video card you have. I know some on-board solutions will not allow you to run both HDMI and DVI at the same time, but I don't know of any discrete graphic cards that run that way.

Just another silly question. You are enabling dual monitors in Catalyst Control Center or NVidia Control Panel (depending on the card), yes?

-Wolf sends

buddy510

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
if you visit www.iiview.com.. you shall find a standalone video wall controller which will allow you to simultaneously display on or up to 18 screens as one large image or in clone mode or vertical replication mode.. i purchased the iVw4 standalone and it is awsome ..i put 4 32 inch lcd using the hdmi inputs and its an amazing gaming and watching dvd experience...

But i noticed there is another device there which is the 4x4 HDMI matrix which will allow you to select what output you want from the source ie dvd, camera, sky etc.. to what output.. be it a TV, projector etc... and will play simultaneously or independent displays etc.. www.iiview.com

kevinlikestv

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009

NVidia GeForce 8500 GT, v269.60 512mb video memory

When I go into the NVidia control panel and select "set up multiple displays", the only option is "Only use one display (single)". So I assume this means that the card does not support multiple monitors. I am wondering, since I don't want to do any fancy multiple monitor setup (different application windows displaying on seperate monitors), whether I can use an HDMI splitter to display the same output on both my LCD monitor and my projector without loss of quality. Some are very inexpensive (40-80$), but say things like "for output to identical displays", which is not the case here.

What do you think?

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Well, what this means is that the card can only suplpy a digital signal to either the hdmi or dvi (as we already realise). Very common.

You can clone it using a splitter like you point out. A cheep unpowered y-splitter wont work though, at least it wont work well, hotplugging detection and all.

Now, being that you would have to by a 40-80 splitter that woudltn give you independant outputs (woudl ahve to be the same resolution)... I would recomend buying a new $40-$80 video card to give you two truely independant outputs.

For example:
ATI: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127415
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161262
(Don't think either of those have an hdmi adapter included tough there are lots of versions of both that are passively cooled, active, and various bundles, though ati will be able to send 7.1 over hdmi natively)

NVIDIA:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500082

kevinlikestv

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009

Thanks so much for the great response! I think I will go this route (replace card with DVI x 2). I have been looking around newegg as you suggested and I just want to know whether there is anything I should keep in mind, not knowing much about what the specs mean.

Some cards are 64bit, some 128 - any compatibility issues I should worry about?
Is a higher clock speed always "better"?
I currently have 512 dedicated video memory - any reason why I shouldn't buy a card with 1GB?

I just want to buy the best card I can in the 50 - 125 $ price range and not cause any problems with compatibility, etc. It's all home theatre focus for me; no gaming.

Thanks again!!
Kevin