Question Projector blanks when the refrigerator switches off

awesome4nothing

Reputable
Mar 11, 2019
Hello
I have a Epson eh-tw7300 projector which blanks for a couple of seconds when the refrigerator switches off. Is there a way to avoid this problem?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
^ The part I find a bit strange in respect to it being an electrical issue (I mean, we can bet it likely is) is the blanking on shut off, not for the turning on.

I once lived in a very old home that had the breaker system replaced along the line to come up to code, but the original wiring and circuits were not changed. In essence, in spite of the breaker panel, there were two circuits in the house and one had to decide what was to be on at the same time together lest you throw the panel completely. We had to shut the TV and computer off while cooking, for instance. Couldn't run the stereo and microwave at the same time, things like that.

I agree with @Gam3r01 that a good first bet would be to contact an electrician and discuss the issue with them.

awesome4nothing

Reputable
Mar 11, 2019
Thank you for the answer!
It is a rented property and not sure if the landlord will do anything about it. Are there other options than an ups? Does the receiver also have to be connected to the UPS?
You probably should contact an electrician about that as well.
As for something you can do for yourself, running the projector on a device like a UPS would prevent any surges/drops from impacting the projector.

It might still be worth contacting an electrician just to ask them about the scenario, since its strange as usually high draw appliances cause issue on startup, not shutdown.
There are inline power conditioners, but I dont know their efficacy in this situation.

Id imagine the projector is likely the one being more sensitive to the power issues, but it may be worth protecting the receiver as well.
Alternatively, you can test your setup on different outlets around the house.

Reactions: dudio

awesome4nothing

Reputable
Mar 11, 2019
It might still be worth contacting an electrician just to ask them about the scenario, since its strange as usually high draw appliances cause issue on startup, not shutdown.
There are inline power conditioners, but I dont know their efficacy in this situation.

Id imagine the projector is likely the one being more sensitive to the power issues, but it may be worth protecting the receiver as well.
Alternatively, you can test your setup on different outlets around the house.

I think it is the back emf from the motor that gives a power spike, which causes the problem.

awesome4nothing

Reputable
Mar 11, 2019
The thing to consider in light of that are the power requirements of the device. A projector could be put on a relatively small and inexpensive backup. The receiver would be the complete opposite of that due its power demands.
Thank you so much for the answer!
The epson projector have a power consumption of 373 W and the receiver is a pionner VSX-932 with a power consumption of 480 W. Will a 1000 W UPS be fin?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I looked at APC, but their calculator only wants to work for 120V. It gave a min of 750 and recommended of 1000. I would never have guessed a projector would require that much juice, but also note the bulb alone is a great deal of that. I would double check with a make available where you are. There should be a calculator on any reputable brand site.