Projector or Triple Monitor setup advice

dueprocessofflaw

Honorable
Jan 18, 2015
I'm in the process of picking out a display setup for my new system. I'm currently looking at two options, limited by budget.

Option 1: 3x Dell S2415H 23.8" IPS 1080p monitors, with a VESA mount, in a triple monitor surround setup, with a total resolution of 5760 x 1080@ 60hz.

Option 2: BenQ W1070 projector, 1080p @ 60hz (artificial 120hz; it has hdmi 1.4a :/), 3D @ 720p/60hz and 1080p/24hz... I'd probably keep the screen size between 40 and 60 inches.

Here's the situation:
I use my PC in conjunction with a receiver and a 7.1 surround sound setup, and I want to create an immersive experience. I tried several high performance, high resolution 27" monitors, including the ASUS ROG Swift, and I was never impressed enough with the performance to justify the price for a single screen.

I use my PC for gaming, general use and multi tasking, including web browsing and music, movies and TV.

Here are the Pros and Cons as I see it:
Triple Monitor Pros: Multitasking, Ultrawide surround resolution for games, great color.
Triple Monitor Cons: No good single screen for movies or TV.
Projector Pros: Great for movies and TV, 3D capable for games, movies, etc.
Projector Cons: not so great for general use, resolution isn't that great in 3d for games (stuck at 720 for framerate), maintenance costs.

I'd like some feedback from people who use either and / or both options in similar situations, for example:
Is the projector decent for general use?
Obviously, 720p is a joke for a good system, so with significant downsampling and AA, would 720p 3d @60hz look good on the projector?
For people who have gamed on triple monitors, how is it?
If you've gamed on triple monitors and on a 3d projector, which do you prefer?

For games, I play: GW2, LoL, WoW, SCII, Civilization V, Titanfall, Crysis 3, BF4 among others.

Solution
1080p @ 60hz (artificial 120hz; it has hdmi 1.4a :/ ), 3D @ 720p/60hz and 1080p/24hz
will look terrible for gaming.

Artificial 120 hertz sounds like it just shows every frame twice.
Real 3d takes a 120 hert signal and splits it into 60 hertz for the left eye and 60 hertz for the right eye. (The GPU has to render each frame twice with a slight offset, one for each eye.)

You could have both and switch between the 2 with a kvm switch when you want to watch movies, which is about all the projector is good for.

Also note the difference in gpu it takes between the projectors 1920x1080p and the tri-monitor setup of 5760x1080p.
5760x1080p will require sli for any recent game.

Personally id go with the tri-monitor setup and save up for the...
1080p @ 60hz (artificial 120hz; it has hdmi 1.4a :/ ), 3D @ 720p/60hz and 1080p/24hz
will look terrible for gaming.

Artificial 120 hertz sounds like it just shows every frame twice.
Real 3d takes a 120 hert signal and splits it into 60 hertz for the left eye and 60 hertz for the right eye. (The GPU has to render each frame twice with a slight offset, one for each eye.)

You could have both and switch between the 2 with a kvm switch when you want to watch movies, which is about all the projector is good for.

Also note the difference in gpu it takes between the projectors 1920x1080p and the tri-monitor setup of 5760x1080p.
5760x1080p will require sli for any recent game.

Personally id go with the tri-monitor setup and save up for the projector if you wanted to use that for watching movies.

Solution