[SOLVED] Wimius K5 Projector shows no picture, only audio, when using Miracast from Windows 10 ?

Sentient0000

Commendable
Apr 22, 2020
As the title says, I am trying to cast from my computer to a Wimius K5 projector, connected over wifi. I can find and connect to the projector but there's no picture coming from it, only the speakers are working. If I use a cable or try other modes, the projector works. I tried various options on the computer settings like duplicate/extend displays, different resolutions and refresh rates for the projectors, but no picture. It is supposed to work.

Any advice?

Solution
The Project Box in Notifications presents (on my computer) the same options as if I used "WIN" +"P" to configure dual monitors.

Choices being PC screen only, Duplicate, Extend, and Second screen only. Try "WIN" + "P" and select Duplicate.

As for the IP address if you did not set up the 192.168.1.XXX address then the address is likely DHCP which means that the Projector is requesting that an IP address be assigned and the Router is giving the Projector that IP address. And the IP address can change change each time the Projector connects to your home network.

Some network devices (printers, storage, scanners) use an assigned IP address that does not change - hence Static. However, the device needs to be configured accordingly...

Sentient0000

Commendable
Apr 22, 2020
Thanks for the reply, I actually had already seen the page at the first link, not the second. I know I can cast because I have done it on my smart TV and it worked fine.

Here's the numbers anyway:

Ethernet 3 6.1
Wi-Fi 6.60
Ethernet 6.40

Not sure why I have an "Ethernet 3" and why it's at a lower version than the other Ethernet. And it's not showing LAN or bluetooth, this latter one it's because I keep it disabled. The projector is not using bluetooth for the signal, only the wifi.

Ralston18

Titan
Open Powershell (as admin) and run the following cmdlet:

Get-PNPDevice -Class 'Bluetooth'

You can cut and paste the bold line right after the PS> prompt.

From my computer:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-PNPDevice -Class 'Bluetooth'

Status Class FriendlyName InstanceId
------ ----- ------------ ----------
OK Bluetooth Phonebook Access Pse Service BTHENUM\...
OK Bluetooth Phone Input Device v2 BTHENUM\...
OK Bluetooth XXXX-iPhone Avrcp Transport BTHENUM\...
OK Bluetooth Bluetooth LE Generic Attribute Service BTHLEDEV...
OK Bluetooth Alta HR BTHLE\DE...
OK Bluetooth Phone Call Audio Device BTHENUM\...
OK Bluetooth Generic Attribute Profile BTHLEDEV...
OK Bluetooth XXXX-iPhone BTHENUM\...
OK Bluetooth Generic Access Profile BTHLEDEV...
OK Bluetooth Device Information Service BTHLEDEV...
OK Bluetooth iPhone BTHENUM\...
OK Bluetooth Service Discovery Service BTHENUM\...
OK Bluetooth iPhone Avrcp Transport BTHENUM\...
OK Bluetooth Service Discovery Service BTHENUM\...
OK Bluetooth Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator BTH\MS_B...
OK Bluetooth XXXX-iPhone Avrcp Transport BTHENUM\...
OK Bluetooth Altec Over ear BT Avrcp Transport BTHENUM\...
OK Bluetooth Microsoft Bluetooth LE Enumerator BTH\MS_B...
OK Bluetooth Altec Over ear BT Avrcp Transport BTHENUM\...
OK Bluetooth HP OfficeJet Pro 9010 series BTHLE\DE...
OK Bluetooth Altec Over ear BT BTHENUM\...
OK Bluetooth Personal Area Network NAP Service BTHENUM\...
OK Bluetooth Qualcomm QCA9565 Bluetooth 4.0 USB\VID_...
OK Bluetooth LE-Bose Revolve SoundLink BTHLE\DE...
OK Bluetooth Phonebook Access Pse Service BTHENUM\...
OK Bluetooth Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI) BTH\MS_R...
OK Bluetooth iPhone Avrcp Transport BTHENUM\...
OK Bluetooth Personal Area Network NAP Service BTHENUM\...

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Do you see any references to the projector in your computer's results?

Post the results and feel free to redact any personally identifying information with a few "XXXX". E.g., iphone names.

Sentient0000

Commendable
Apr 22, 2020
Status Class FriendlyName InstanceId
------ ----- ------------ ----------
Unknown Bluetooth Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator BTH\MS_BTHBR...
Unknown Bluetooth Microsoft Bluetooth LE Enumerator BTH\MS_BTHLE...
OK Bluetooth Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) USB\VID_8087...
Unknown Bluetooth Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI) BTH\MS_RFCOM...

Don't know why it shows so few characters under then InstanceId column, I can't seem to be able to expand the field to show more characters.

Anyways I did this while the projector was connected (while still not showing anything). My bluetooth is still off though.

Ralston18

Titan
This to "expand":

Get-PNPDevice -Class 'Bluetooth'| Format-Table -AutoSize

Results not directly helpful unfortunately....

Bluetooth "off"?

Check:

"WIN" + "I" > Devices > Bluetooth & other devices

Is Bluetooth switch ON?

Check other Bluetooth options per listings on the right side of the window.

Sentient0000

Commendable
Apr 22, 2020
No, what I meant to say is that my bluetooth is intentionally off, because like I said, the projector doesn't use it for casting. Do you still want me to investigate the bluetooth further? I can do it if you really think it will help, but I think that's not the right direction.

Ralston18

Titan
Agree. Also feel that that is not the right direction. Especially with respect to Bluetooth.

Quite puzzling and I am not at all sure about why audio works wirelessly and video does not.

Just for the record: does the projector appear as a device on the wireless network? Is the projector receiving an IP address via the router? Static or DHCP?

= = = =

If you left click the Notification icon in the lower right screen corner do you see a menu box "Connect"?

If so, click that box. Do you see the projector? If not try a search. (Also note at the bottom "Find other types of devices".)

Do you also see a "Project Box" - how is that configured?

Failing any success within those options my suggestion is that we move your post to Home Audio & Theater.

Hopefully someone who follows that Category will be able to spot some error of omission or commission on my part.

Sentient0000

Commendable
Apr 22, 2020
If you left click the Notification icon in the lower right screen corner do you see a menu box "Connect"?

If so, click that box. Do you see the projector? If not try a search. (Also note at the bottom "Find other types of devices".)
Yes, this works, and that is how I manage to cast the audio (since the picture is not coming out) to the projector.

Do you also see a "Project Box" - how is that configured?
I don't see "Project Box" though, where is that supposed to show? On the list of connectable devices? I mean I see the projector's name but I can only click on it to connect to it, no configuration.

Just for the record: does the projector appear as a device on the wireless network? Is the projector receiving an IP address via the router? Static or DHCP?
Yes the device is getting an IP via the router and it appears as an additional device that wasn't there before. Not sure if static or DHCP (not even sure what that means) but it's like 192.168.1.XXX.

Anyways thank you for the assistance and yeah feel free to move this to another section, hopefully someone has more ideas on it.

Ralston18

Titan
The Project Box in Notifications presents (on my computer) the same options as if I used "WIN" +"P" to configure dual monitors.

Choices being PC screen only, Duplicate, Extend, and Second screen only. Try "WIN" + "P" and select Duplicate.

As for the IP address if you did not set up the 192.168.1.XXX address then the address is likely DHCP which means that the Projector is requesting that an IP address be assigned and the Router is giving the Projector that IP address. And the IP address can change change each time the Projector connects to your home network.

Some network devices (printers, storage, scanners) use an assigned IP address that does not change - hence Static. However, the device needs to be configured accordingly but the process must also be coordinated with the host network router. Otherwise the router may assign the same address to another device and that does not end well. Sort of like two houses having same house number on the same street.

You do not need to hide the 192.168.1.XXX IP address. That is within one of the three private IP address ranges used for home and small business networks.

The terminology is confusing. For more information:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-private-ip-address-2625970

Just to help you become a bit more familiar with and comfortable with the concepts involved. Especially if the Projector does need to be statically configured to become part of the network. And consistently so.

What you do not want to reveal is the Public IP address that your ISP assigns to your router.

For the record - This Projector:

https://www.newegg.com/p/0FC-05GV-00060

So at that, I will move the thread to Home Audio. But I will keep a watch on the thread and see what develops.

Reactions: Sentient0000
Solution

Sentient0000

Commendable
Apr 22, 2020
Thanks again for the comprehensive reply. Okay so the projection box is that one, I see. Yeah like I said I tried all possible settings... various resolutions, refresh rates, duplicate/extend, changed primary display, pressed the identify button, nothing worked.

Thanks for moving the thread to the home theater, I hope someone can figure this out.

TRENDING THREADS