Question Proliant GL360 G7 - Installing OS', and other questions?

aronbchek

Honorable
Nov 29, 2017
I obtained a lot of server racks and such and I'm trying to get ONE up and running. Previously the GL360 was running some form of ESIX. It was booted through usb and the disks were originally in Raid 10 for what ever data was on them.

I have no intention of setting up enterprise hardware for VM use and such. I'm an enthusiast that wants to repurpose things for home and personal use.

My intention is to use the installed 192gb of ddr3 for server use. I run a lot of mods for lan servers such as Minecraft, 7 days to die, and RUST. One to 4 people handles okay with a typical desktop running the server but I'm looking to expand, getting double that number.

I wanted to install windows 10 pro just natively on the machine and I got as far as getting the windows 10 installer to load but no look recognizing drives in the RAID attachment. I already looked for drivers for the RAID controller and I tried loading them to the windows installer but it still won't recognize any drive. I even tried putting a windows 10 hdd inside to just load that but no dice. I feel like I'm missing a step that I didn't account for. If all else fails, is there any other operating system that would work better does anyone have any suggestions?

kanewolf

Titan
I obtained a lot of server racks and such and I'm trying to get ONE up and running. Previously the GL360 was running some form of ESIX. It was booted through usb and the disks were originally in Raid 10 for what ever data was on them.

I have no intention of setting up enterprise hardware for VM use and such. I'm an enthusiast that wants to repurpose things for home and personal use.

My intention is to use the installed 192gb of ddr3 for server use. I run a lot of mods for lan servers such as Minecraft, 7 days to die, and RUST. One to 4 people handles okay with a typical desktop running the server but I'm looking to expand, getting double that number.

I wanted to install windows 10 pro just natively on the machine and I got as far as getting the windows 10 installer to load but no look recognizing drives in the RAID attachment. I already looked for drivers for the RAID controller and I tried loading them to the windows installer but it still won't recognize any drive. I even tried putting a windows 10 hdd inside to just load that but no dice. I feel like I'm missing a step that I didn't account for. If all else fails, is there any other operating system that would work better does anyone have any suggestions?
First do you mean a 1U DL360 ?
Here is a YouTube installing Windows 10 on a G5 --
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMXiHfv1NTY

That might give you some ideas on what you need to do.

aronbchek

Honorable
Nov 29, 2017
First do you mean a 1U DL360 ?
Here is a YouTube installing Windows 10 on a G5 --
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMXiHfv1NTY

That might give you some ideas on what you need to do.
That's the video I actually used to get as far as I did. I think I might have the wrong driver's for my array. But how do I check what it is by just looking at it. I'm a bit hesitant to start pulling apart more than necessary on the server because I don't want to add more errors.

aronbchek

Honorable
Nov 29, 2017
You should be able to get a hardware inventory via the iLO port.
Okay I found out its a hp p410 i controller, I downloaded from hp and from another site the drivers, loaded it through the windows 10 installer and it still didn't recognize drives. Both sas and ssd. I already made the sas drives raid 0 too so I don't know what else to do. I also put in my old windows hdd and it recognized it but it won't let me do anything to the drive. No format or anything.

aronbchek

Honorable
Nov 29, 2017
If anyone else is having this issue or come across this, I have found a probably temporary/permanent solution. There is a SATA port and power for a DVD drive. I used that SATA port and an external power supply to run an SSD and it installed windows 10 flawlessly.