Proof of Trim?

Menessis

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
OK I have a pc that I got used. It has a Lenovo SSD MMCRE28G8MXP. This thing is slow!

After a lot of "Googleing" around I found the command to check if Trim is enabled or not. It says that Trim is enabled.

So how do I tell if this SSD has been updated to use the Trim?

Thanks
Mike

Menessis

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
I just installed Crystal Disk Info 5.6.2. It says it's a Samsung SSD and that the Trim is not supported. So I think I need to update the firmware.

I also downloaded the Magician software the other day and it says it's not a Samsung drive and most of the features where disabled.

Mike

RealBeast

Titan
Ah, yes the old Samsung drives sold as Lenovo drives -- some did not have firmware that supports TRIM and would not have Magician support. Apparently, it may be possible to update the firmware to a version that does support TRIM or you may already have that version. What firmware version does Crystal Disk Info report?

Take a look at THIS OLD THREAD on the issue.

Menessis

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
Crystal says it's Firmware VBM1EL1Q. And no trim.

The whole update firmware things scares me! LOL

I think I read some where that you can run a utility manually to clean the SSD. It writes "1's" to the whole SSD.

I would like to know if this drive has "garbage collection" ? If it does should I leave the machine turned on over night to let it get some work done cleaning up that SSD?

Mike

RealBeast

Titan
The best way to return to original performance is a secure erase, which you may be able to do from your bios, but it deletes all the data on the drive so it's not very practical to do too often for an OS drive.

Have you looked at THIS Lenovo tool? It seems to include your SSD model and perhaps there is finally a FW update that this tool is supposed to do automatically while DOS booted from the iso image burned to a CD according to the extensive instructions in the related txt document.

Menessis

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
Found this:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?64753-A-simple-guide-for-gen1-owners%28-Apex-solid-core-V1-V2%29-or-raid-array-owners-who-want-to-consolidate-free-space-and-clean-the-remaining-Nand-on-the-drives.-OCZ-gen2-drives..Vertex-Agility-Solid2-TURBO-owners-with-FW-1.5-you-do-not-need-this.

Just the As Cleaner seems to be all I need in the short term. I think I will get a second drive. Clone this one over to it. Then flash the old one. I won't sweat so much. LOL

Mike