Question Proof that undervolting affects CPU's performance!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Veloci

Commendable
Jun 17, 2019
I'm currently running an old Core 2 Duo E8400 and here is the result with and without undervolt:

E8400.png

It's not like I'm complaining, no sir. I'm very VERY happy with the results, actually. Before, the CPU was reaching 83c @ 1.20V. Now it remains at 65c @ 1.05V, is 100% stable and consumes 20W less power (65W vs. 45W).

I'm just a bit stumped by the results because people usually say that undervolting has no diverse effects on the performance, whatsoever.

This proves that they're... WRONG! Undervolting DOES affect performance, although the difference is quite minimal.

Mere 2.7% in my case!
:fille:

Pretty much anybody running PBO should be running a -voltage offset if they want ideal performance. This is undervollting if you ask me. PBO throws way to much voltage at the CPU by default and causes higher temps which, in turn, directly affects peak boost and boost duration. It is the exact same concept as undervolting a Vega GPU.
As long as voltage is dynamically adjusted there can't be any "undervolting" just voltage range adjustment to upper limit. Lower limit only for stability's sake if necessary. In my case, no need for voltage offset. just upper limit of 1.4v and voltage drops to bellow 1v when cores are in idle state (2.2GHz). It just depends on BIOS settings and capability.