Proper advise, ssd and raid 1

zaternine

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
Ok, I love using google and reading all the forums and I couldn't find a solution to my problem. I just built a new pc and now installing windows 7 64. The os its going to be on one Intel 520 120gb ssd and other storage is going to be 2 western digital hdd's in a mirrored raid 1. With raid enabled windows sees the ssd and raid but can't install it on the ssd with a message saying "setup was unable to create a system partition". I went into the bios disabled the raid and left it in ahci mode, disconnected the 2 hdd's. I went and windows installed ok on the ssd. Before I go any further I need ask if my procedure was correct. I remembered on my last system I had to install drivers for the raid during the windows installation. Please advise because I feel like something it's wrong. Thank you for taking the time to help.

Solution
U did install the raid driver before changing the bios?

If that's not working, you could leave the bios set to RAID, disconnect the array (leaving the SSD only connected), then reinstall Windows on the SSD. When it asks if you want to install storage drivers, you'd then load the raid driver and complete installation. Once it's completely installed and stable, then power down, reconnect the array, and fire it back up. I know that's a pain but not sure what else to try.

zaternine

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013

Wait, I didn't install any drivers during setup because I was so concerned about installing windows. This means I have to go back reinstall windows install drivers for my raid, then after the install turn on raid in bios and all should be good correct?

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012

there are usually drivers that come on a dvd with the motherboard. install those from windows and then you can create your raid array in the BIOS, and it should work fine.

zaternine

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
Well so I did what you suggested jed70 and after I enabled the raid in the bios windows fails to start kind of like when you have a bad driver and instead of bsod it reboots. With the raid disabled I can see the 2 drives and I checked them with wd diagnostic just in case and they are find. I'm at a loss any ideas

U did install the raid driver before changing the bios?

If that's not working, you could leave the bios set to RAID, disconnect the array (leaving the SSD only connected), then reinstall Windows on the SSD. When it asks if you want to install storage drivers, you'd then load the raid driver and complete installation. Once it's completely installed and stable, then power down, reconnect the array, and fire it back up. I know that's a pain but not sure what else to try.

Solution

zaternine

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
ok i will give it a shot after i get off of work and let you all know. i think the thing that is confusing is that there are several different drivers to choose from for raid alone. one for an amd raid driver and one for a jmicron driver. the manual doesnt say which sata ports are for which driver the mobo is ECS 880gm microatx fyi
options are

JMicron JMB360/361/362/363 Controller Driver
AMD SB7xx SATA RAID Floppy Driver

zaternine

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
Update, so what a cluster. The jmicron is for a pcie to sata adapter. I took all three drivers out formatted them to make sure they are clean and did what you said jed70, I enabled raid in the bios but disconnected the hard drives installed windows with raid drivers (even that was difficult because of the driver options, to many to choose without any specifics to what exactly they are for.) But after windows installed with all other drivers installed I connected the devices and it recognized the raid 1. Thank all for your help