[SOLVED] Proper CPU for big Excel files (formulas & calculations)

Feb 28, 2020
Hi,

I'm planning to buy new CPU, 9th or 10th Gen. i5-i7-i9 which is better for big Excel files, formulas and calculations.
Does more cores give better results in Excel case?
Can i7 9700 give me advantage over i5 9400, or can i9 9900 give better results over i7 9700?

Which CPU do you recommend? I think I'm gonna choose Intel CPU for some reasons.

I got problems with working big Excel files (on Intel 8265U), it hangs, taks much time, ever for Ctrl + or - options. Not responding often,

Thanks

Solution
An SSD will definitely help. My files are usually below 50MB and often below 20MB but it’s the complexity of the calculations that cause the cpu workload.

I can see RAM usage up to about 16GB but as mentioned earlier the problem is stopping Excel caching to the main drive which it does long before it hits 100% usage.

I do feel Office 2019 is better than 2016 but I have not done any testing. Excel can still say not responding but it is less likely too and when it does it starts responding again much quicker.
I use Excel a lot and can share my observations. I have never found any good cpu benchmarks for Excel.

My observations are.
Some functions and formulas are able to use more threads than others. I have some spreadsheets that will max out all 16 threads of my 3700x when calculating. Others spreadsheets will max out a lower number of threads while calculating.

RAM. Excel will start caching to the main drive long before it utilities all your RAM. So you might only have 80% RAM usage but Excel starts caching to the drive. This really slows down Excel. It was the main reason I chose 2x16gb instead of 2x8gb RAM.

Newer versions of Excel seem able to better use CPU’s with more threads.

If performance is that important I would look at higher thread CPUs like the 10700k, 10900k or 3700x/3800x/3900x/3950x. I personally wouldn’t go with the low thread count 9th gen i5 or i7 and I cannot see why you would pick a 9900k instead of the 10700k.

Reactions: giusgius
Feb 28, 2020
I use Excel a lot and can share my observations. I have never found any good cpu benchmarks for Excel.

RAM. Excel will start caching to the main drive long before it utilities all your RAM. So you might only have 80% RAM usage but Excel starts caching to the drive. This really slows down Excel. It was the main reason I chose 2x16gb instead of 2x8gb RAM.

I still waiting for 10 Gen parts in my region, there will be available in this months, I think I will go for 10 Gen i7, 8/16. 10700 i7 I think. They doesn't sell new Ryzen CPUs yet here...

What other parts do you reccomend?
I think installing Samsung 970 EVO Plus can also be big advantage.
Also for me 2x8GB must be enough,

How much RAM does you Excel files utilises when working ? 10, 16, 20GB?
Our Excel is like 80MB-200MB in size, not very big but still many info in it...

Do you often get Excel not responding or hanging issues?
Also do you suggest installing Office 2019 can be better than 2016?

970 EVO m.2 3500MB
i7 10700
2x8GB RAM , this looks like good option I think...

An SSD will definitely help. My files are usually below 50MB and often below 20MB but it’s the complexity of the calculations that cause the cpu workload.

I can see RAM usage up to about 16GB but as mentioned earlier the problem is stopping Excel caching to the main drive which it does long before it hits 100% usage.

I do feel Office 2019 is better than 2016 but I have not done any testing. Excel can still say not responding but it is less likely too and when it does it starts responding again much quicker.

Solution